Porcelain Project

After looking for, finding, and then studying dozens of pictures of the porcelain projects and the beautiful finished birds known as Blue Cream, I have a clear picture on what to do with my six chicks. I have seen pictures of others chicks that look like mine. So I know I'm on the right path.

Basically, I want them to eventually produce birds that are 75% lavender (self blue) and 25% diluted buff. The buff should be diluted to a straw/pale buff color and blend into the overall lavender (self blue) body. The under-fluff should be a clear and even lavender. I'll know it when I see it.

Most breeders believe the penciling in feathers in project birds should be bred out. There is debate on this and some feel it can be done in one generation, some feel it will take more generations. Because I used a blue partridge hen for my first cross, penciling is sure to crop up in my future F2 pens. Many consider that's the generation where oddballs show up. Buff is also based on partridge and wheaten and those carry penciling too.

It may take my efforts into F4 and F5 to get the 75/25 clean Blue Cream. If I can get there sooner, that would be great. I will have to be diligent in culling and keeping good records. Both of those things are not difficult to do. They just take time and patience.

After looking for, finding, and then studying dozens of pictures of the porcelain projects and the beautiful finished birds known as Blue Cream, I have a clear picture on what to do with my six chicks. I have seen pictures of others chicks that look like mine. So I know I'm on the right path. 

Basically, I want them to eventually produce birds that are 75% lavender (self blue) and 25% diluted buff. The buff should be diluted to a straw/pale buff color and blend into the overall lavender (self blue) body. The under-fluff should be a clear and even lavender. I'll know it when I see it. 

Most breeders believe the penciling in feathers in project birds should be bred out. There is debate on this and some feel it can be done in one generation, some feel it will take more generations. Because I used a blue partridge hen for my first cross, penciling is sure to crop up in my future F2 pens. Many consider that's the generation where oddballs show up.  Buff is also based on partridge and wheaten and those carry penciling too. 

It may take my efforts into F4 and F5 to get the 75/25 clean Blue Cream. If I can get there sooner, that would be great. I will have to be diligent in culling and keeping good records. Both of those things are not difficult to do. They just take time and patience. 

I love this. How exciting to have a clear goal in mind. It's inspiring. I can't wait to see pictures of your process in action! Those chicks are going to do very well!

Update pic's on the porcelain project chicks. They are nine weeks old.

He tried to crow today

Full brothers.

All males. I will have a choice for first male next year.

New chicks from my paint x lavender mating gave me lavender and buff/blue. If they are females they go into the first pen for F2 progeny. That is the plan anyway. Hope they turn out typey.

Update pic's on the porcelain project chicks. They are nine weeks old. All males. I will have a choice for first male next year. New chicks from my paint x lavender mating gave me lavender and buff/blue. If they are females they go into the first pen for F2 progeny. That is the plan anyway. Hope they turn out typey.
I am loving Tick Tick's color!!! His crest looks extreme already! WOW! Mumsy have you ever had a splash chick? This little one looks like it might be a splash. New babies have really good type so far, adorable!

I am loving Tick Tick's color!!! His crest looks extreme already! WOW!

Mumsy have you ever had a splash chick? This little one looks like it might be a splash. New babies have really good type so far, adorable!
Thank you. Yes. He has been a standout in this hatch from the beginning.

Nope. I have never had a splash chick. That would be awesome if it turned into a lavender/paint/splash! All these varieties from one little old paint male is smoking my brain!
celebrate.gif

I just came in from checking the paint x BRIR chicks. One of them has dark blue spots coming in. What is going on with that?
idunno.gif

Thank you. Yes. He has been a standout in this hatch from the beginning. 

Nope. I have never had a splash chick. That would be awesome if it turned into a lavender/paint/splash! All these varieties from one little old paint male is smoking my brain! :celebrate

I just came in from checking the paint x BRIR chicks. One of them has dark blue spots coming in. What is going on with that? :idunno  

I really like the colors and combos youre getting! What fun! Can I ask tho, what is BRIR?

Edited to add: any new pics of the baby? I don't think I've seen a blue paint. That would be incredibly cute. And lavender splash! Wow. Sounds gorgeous.

Last edited:
I really like the colors and combos youre getting! What fun! Can I ask tho, what is BRIR?

Edited to add: any new pics of the baby? I don't think I've seen a blue paint. That would be incredibly cute. And lavender splash! Wow. Sounds gorgeous.
Thank you. Each egg that hatches is such a surprise because a few months back, I didn't expect anything but more solid white chicks. Now my brooder house is filled with colorful chicks.

BRIR = Bantam Rhode Island Red. I have three hens and no roo so I put Dapper Dan the paint with them and didn't get any red chicks. All paints so far. Crazy.

I've never had splash chicks before so it is very exciting to see how they feather out.

The last eggs hatching are from just three hens. A lavender by Catdance, a partridge by Catdance, and my best white that hatched last August. She is just a year old now. Her chicks are tiny but really type-y. I'll take some update pictures of some of the kids today.

Thank you. Each egg that hatches is such a surprise because a few months back, I didn't expect anything but more solid white chicks. Now my brooder house is filled with colorful chicks.

BRIR = Bantam Rhode Island Red. I have three hens and no roo so I put Dapper Dan the paint with them and didn't get any red chicks. All paints so far. Crazy.

I've never had splash chicks before so it is very exciting to see how they feather out.

The last eggs hatching are from just three hens. A lavender by Catdance, a partridge by Catdance, and my best white that hatched last August. She is just a year old now. Her chicks are tiny but really type-y. I'll take some update pictures of some of the kids today.
So, these chicks are obviously not from the BRIR combo right? You have a silkie paint that just kinda gets around?
gig.gif

I have quite a few splash, 1 is a tri colored sizzle I really like. Im thinking its a roo but nothing definite yet. Im gonna let him breed my porcelain and lavender girls just to see what comes of it. I also have a partridge boy, that I think looks REALLY good, so those will be my roosters for now. Im hoping to get Sheri Minker eggs from her porcelain sizzle project and of course Catdance eggs. I figure Ill have fun with what I have while I wait for the others to do their growing up.
smile.png
I passed on the porc rooster for now because Im in the middle of moving and just dont have a good isolation thing set up and Im swamped with moving a family of 7!

Looking forward to seeing pictures! Have you posted a picture of your lavender Catdance? Id love to see her.

Back
Top Bottom