Porter's Assortment

WOw, sorry you have lost so many!!

When I bought 20 of his poults, they arrived in great shape and I didnt lose any for a long time.

DId you talk with Kevin Porter to get his input on starting poults-- or read his web page?? He answers his emails.

He is actually going to send me hatching eggs in the spring (I'd already placed a hatching egg order, he is just putting some extras in the box). I followed his directions to the letter. I know he was concerned about softened water, but the poults were not getting softened water. The gamebird starter is fresh smelling, not rancid or moldy. They are on newspaper covered with paper towel for traction, changed daily. All were observed independently eating and drinking. I've raised shipped and hatched poults before, I've never had anything like this occur! Brooder temperatures were good, too.

The flipping started the day after arrival. If they were righted, they'd quickly return to the flipped position. They would drink and eat if offered right in front, but seemed neurologically off. Until each perished, I kept the poult in the brooder between a pair of rolled hand towels to keep it upright. I offered food and water every couple of hours to prevent dehydration and weakness. However, once a poult flipped, it passed within the day.

It is really kind and generous of Kevin Porter to send hatching eggs. I definitely told him he is under no obligation to replace them, since they were alive upon arrival. I consulted him as soon as the flipping started, in case he knew what to do! I still am stumped. The four surviving poults are strong and active, so I think they may be in the clear.

It wasn't like they got chilled or dehydrated. It was quite dramatic how they flipped and thrashed, before eventually dying.

SOunds like have done a good job taking care of the flippers and getting info from Kevin Porter is a bog plus. To play devils advocate . . . have you changed feed since the previous poults? ANd what was the % protein? All deaths occurred using the same bag of feed??

Pardon the questions-- hoping with a little sleuthing , a possible cause might be found.

SOunds like have done a good job taking care of the flippers and getting info from Kevin Porter is a bog plus. To play devils advocate . . . have you changed feed since the previous poults? ANd what was the % protein? All deaths occurred using the same bag of feed??

Pardon the questions-- hoping with a little sleuthing , a possible cause might be found.

Nutrena Gamebird Starter, which is 27%. I used the same brand/type on the turkeys I raised earlier in the year, same methods of raising, too. It isn't the same bag obviously, that has long since been eaten. I checked the expiry date on the current feed, and it is still good as far as that went. All these deaths did happen with this one bag of feed, but the four who are doing fantastic are eating it too.

I have always made a habit of sifting through a bag of feed for mold and smelling it for anything sour or musty. It smelled and looked like normal gamebird crumble. I have gotten a moldy bag of goat feed in the past. Thankfully, my feed store will take it back without hesitation.

Hmmmm. . . When I raise poults I use a 21-22% protein; even on the BBW. The only time I have used 27% is on my buckeyes per the recommendation of the breeder ( actually started at 2 weeks old until 10 weeks old, rather than first 8 weeks, because I couldnt find 27% in my area.)

DId you ask Kevin what % he feeds??? Now you have me curious-- maybe it is on his feeding page.

Hmmmm. . . When I raise poults I use a 21-22% protein; even on the BBW. The only time I have used 27% is on my buckeyes per the recommendation of the breeder ( actually started at 2 weeks old until 10 weeks old, rather than first 8 weeks, because I couldnt find 27% in my area.)

DId you ask Kevin what % he feeds??? Now you have me curious-- maybe it is on his feeding page.

He feeds 26% protein to young poults. 1% plus or minus will not make much of a difference.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom