Positioning eggs in incubator

Going into lockdown tomorrow at midnight. The bottom of incubator has crisscross pattern, a plastic grate type of thing. Is it safe for chicks to walk on that? Im assuming so because why would they use that in incubator if not but want to be sure. leaving eggs in an egg carton to hatch upright.

Yes it is. I personally do not put anything on the factory floor/grate because I do not want to restrict air flow. Might not hurt---might---I never tried it. Mine hatch fine on the bare floor.

I've hatched a few hundred with the drawer liner in there. It's mesh so it doesn't restrict air flow very much.

I've also hatched shipped eggs upright in egg cartons with the bottoms cut out.

No issues with either.

Thanks for the responses guys. 6 of the eggs were shipped Svart Hona but looks like only one developed. 3 had detached air cells and never grew at all, weird almost like not even fertil. A few eggs from our own coop are doing nicely.

Thanks for the responses guys. 6 of the eggs were shipped Svart Hona but looks like only one developed. 3 had detached air cells and never grew at all, weird almost like not even fertil. A few eggs from our own coop are doing nicely.

If the trauma is too great (which it sounds like there was at least some, with the air cells being detached), the embryo won't even start to grow.

If the trauma is too great (which it sounds like there was at least some, with the air cells being detached), the embryo won't even start to grow. 

One more question.....the temp cord is attached to a flat piece of plastic that lays across the top of eggs. Where do I put that because it says it is supposed to be on the eggs for an accurate temp but don't want to interfere with hatching

One more question.....the temp cord is attached to a flat piece of plastic that lays across the top of eggs. Where do I put that because it says it is supposed to be on the eggs for an accurate temp but don't want to interfere with hatching

The cord on laying on the eggs will not effect them hatching.

@FoodFreedomNow do you do this because chickens are more likely to be malpositioned?
Am currently on my first ever lot of duck eggs (day 16) and was worried about them being on their side from day 1 and if this was the right thing to do?
Ps am I right in thinking lockdown is on day 25 as they are mallards? So worried about messing this up!!!

@FoodFreedomNow do you do this because chickens are more likely to be malpositioned?
Am currently on my first ever lot of duck eggs (day 16) and was worried about them being on their side from day 1 and if this was the right thing to do?
Ps am I right in thinking lockdown is on day 25 as they are mallards? So worried about messing this up!!!

Hi - I missed this earlier. I incubate duck eggs on their sides because that's how my broody ducks do it; actually, my broody chicken did that, too, but I think most chicken eggs do just fine on an autoturner and are a tad less finicky than duck eggs (purely my opinion based on my experience hatching both types). I have an incubator full of Muscovy eggs right now, and they've been on their sides and hand-turned since day 1.

Yes, I would consider lockdown to generally be at day 25 for mallard-derived breeds, since they take approx. 28 days to hatch.
smile.png

Do you also leave ducks on their side from lockdown too?

I do leave them on their sides - I just stop turning them at lockdown (and raise the humidity).

Best of luck with your hatch! Hope you have lots of duckling pics to share with us!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom