Possible ovarian cyst, yolk peritonitis or egg bound? Hen was examined by triage vet and these were the “possibilities”

Side40barn

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2022
My two year old hen, Bertha, and my Goldendoodle keeping her company on the lawn today after we returned from the emergency room veterinary Hospital. Bertha has been lethargic and waddling slowly for a few weeks. Now she is eating and drinking and trying her best but today I needed to know what was wrong with her. After three weeks of Apple cider vinegar in her water, and a sits bath with Epsom salt, which revealed a clear vent I was told she could have either a very large ovarian cyst or cyst of some sort or yolk peritonitis. They insisted they were not very optimistic about her lasting very long, and the most humane thing to do would be to euthanize her, which I was not going to do. I’d rather her pass away peacefully at home, surrounded by her flock family. I left there with Septra TMS antibiotics. I’ve been trying to research but it’s kind of hard when there could be three possibilities!! She eats and drink and moves albeit slowly, I wish I could help rid her of whatever is ailing her, but I don’t trust these money hungry vets sometimes who just give off a vibe that they’re “guessing” Any ideas on how I can tell what’s wrong with her by looking for certain signs? she eats and drinks, but she appears to be “meaty” and waddles like a penguin, I feel some sort of mass between her legs, her vent is clear, no poopy butt, can’t tell if she’s still laying (I have 6 hens and they nest in different spots), I’m praying for a miraculous turnaround. In the event it is a cyst, what will happen? Can any home remedy treat it or make it go away? Resorb? Will she pass suddenly? Will she suffer or just go to sleep and never wake up?

Attachments

• IMG_5438.jpeg
    IMG_5438.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
I'm sorry to hear about Bertha.

Unfortunately, hens often begin to have reproductive problems like Cancer, Cysts, EYP, etc.
I have yet to see anyone find a cure and I sure have not found one myself.
The best thing I can tell you is to offer her supportive care which can include giving an antibiotic to see if that makes a difference. Sometimes meds can get them in better shape for a period of time.
Do check her periodically for lice/mites, see that she's eating/drinking, that her crop is emptying.

Hard to know how well she'll do. I've had hens decline only to perk back up again and again until they just couldn't go on. Others decline and that's it. Some linger. It really all just depends on what's going on and how advanced "it" is.

Not the best answers - and yes, guesses. The only way to really know and possibly assign a name/"diagnosis" to the ailment is if you lose the hen and do a further internal investigation.

I'm sorry to hear about Bertha.

Unfortunately, hens often begin to have reproductive problems like Cancer, Cysts, EYP, etc.
I have yet to see anyone find a cure and I sure have not found one myself.
The best thing I can tell you is to offer her supportive care which can include giving an antibiotic to see if that makes a difference. Sometimes meds can get them in better shape for a period of time.
Do check her periodically for lice/mites, see that she's eating/drinking, that her crop is emptying.

Hard to know how well she'll do. I've had hens decline only to perk back up again and again until they just couldn't go on. Others decline and that's it. Some linger. It really all just depends on what's going on and how advanced "it" is.

Not the best answers - and yes, guesses. The only way to really know and possibly assign a name/"diagnosis" to the ailment is if you lose the hen and do a further internal investigation.
Thank you, your response does help me by confirming and to cope with the uncertainties and reality. Unfortunately when I went to the coop with water, food and a syringe of the antibiotic this morning, Bertha was “sleeping” in her nesting box, next to the overnight supply of water I left her. She was drinking well last night before I went to bed. I’m glad she passed peacefully at home next to her buddies in the adjacent nesting box. My poor Bertha ❤️ RIP

Thank you, your response does help me by confirming and to cope with the uncertainties and reality. Unfortunately when I went to the coop with water, food and a syringe of the antibiotic this morning, Bertha was “sleeping” in her nesting box, next to the overnight supply of water I left her. She was drinking well last night before I went to bed. I’m glad she passed peacefully at home next to her buddies in the adjacent nesting box. My poor Bertha ❤️ RIP
I'm very sorry to hear about Bertha:hugs

I'm glad that she was able to be home with her flock as well.
The photo with your Goldendoodle is so sweet. She knew she was home and she was loved, that's what matters.

Back
Top Bottom