Possible scissor beak in chick

Silkie2

Songster
Mar 1, 2016
Southern NH
64E94DA5-6F28-48BF-AFBD-5FEAEEFF89F8.jpeg
FD4923A9-A684-4D00-80A5-24F6E7C77E38.jpeg
C699AB99-B27E-488F-807B-2497F7CCC358.jpeg
not too familiar with “scissor beak” but im worried my 2 week old polish might have it. Been getting a lot of chicks lately from different people mainly because all the feed store chicks are terrible, but unfortunately we haven’t had even much luck with breeders either..
Its been “shifting its mouth a lot (similar to what they do after they drink) haven’t noticed it till now. Is this early scissor beak or am i being paranoid? Can i prevent it from getting worse?

A6EEF6F1-8C4E-48EC-B258-44DE1586EF0A.jpeg
If she does continue to grow and be missshapen you’ve caught it early. Good job on the awareness.
She is young so get her used to being handled for beak shaping.
If she were mine I’d use a nice emery board to keep the beak in shape. I’ve used the multi-grit type. So easy to use and you can change from coarse to fine simply by turning it.
Beaks continually grow like our fingernails do. But cutting or using nippers can cause splitting (dangerous).
Sometimes a little sanding or buffing will help straighten out beaks with minor problems. She doesn’t look malformed. Her jaw appears normal. Her skull shape looks normal. But...a side view might show differently. It’d help to see that.
I’d file the high point (bottom left) of the last photo. It looks like her lower beak needs a little help. Perhaps one of those cheap bendable emery boards for the bottom (it’s harder to reach). Trying while she’s young is the key. I hope she’s able to grow out of it.
I’d also give them a cement paver so they can wipe/trim their own beaks. Best wishes

View attachment 1710129 If she does continue to grow and be missshapen you’ve caught it early. Good job on the awareness.
She is young so get her used to being handled for beak shaping.
If she were mine I’d use a nice emery board to keep the beak in shape. I’ve used the multi-grit type. So easy to use and you can change from coarse to fine simply by turning it.
Beaks continually grow like our fingernails do. But cutting or using nippers can cause splitting (dangerous).
Sometimes a little sanding or buffing will help straighten out beaks with minor problems. She doesn’t look malformed. Her jaw appears normal. Her skull shape looks normal. But...a side view might show differently. It’d help to see that.
I’d file the high point (bottom left) of the last photo. It looks like her lower beak needs a little help. Perhaps one of those cheap bendable emery boards for the bottom (it’s harder to reach). Trying while she’s young is the key. I hope she’s able to grow out of it.
I’d also give them a cement paver so they can wipe/trim their own beaks. Best wishes
Ok! I can try getting side photos later today. Thank you for the help! I’ll try the emery board

2F5866E0-37D6-49BC-8DA7-C2C52CB7571E.jpeg
CAC3D501-F0D4-4DB5-90BA-11F6883785FE.jpeg
E58A8E1D-DBCC-4696-9D41-E1BB5401160A.jpeg
D54B2DD9-75C8-4562-B9EA-0CA6774C51C5.jpeg

Some updated pics.
It seems to have gotten worse, however, she is eating and drinking perfectly fine (besides the food she occasionally gets stuck in her beak) she scratches and pecks the ground just like the other chicks. Totally normal besides her beak. Hoping it stays that way. She’s such a sweet girl i would hate to lose her.

Back
Top Bottom