Possible sick chicken, not sure what to do

ManfreChickens

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2015
St. Petersburg, Florida
I have 4 hens and one rooster, they are all Rhode Island reds. They've all been doing so well and just reached 19 weeks. Yesterday, I noticed the smallest of them was acting off. She continually opens her mouth but no sound comes out. I also observed that her legs are shorter than the others and she appears much plumper. She is eating, I brought out an ear of corn and she attacked it with gusto this morning. She's also drinking etc. last night when everyone went up to roost she was sleeping in the box. Same thing this morning.

Everything I am googling is just scaring me so I thought it best to post it here and hope for some advice.

a picture might help so we can see if there are any other signs, but I see you are in florida so could it be that she is just hot? mine will have their beak open in the summer to help keep themselves cool

I am in a training all day but when I get home I will be tending to her and will post a video/picture. It isn't hot here, we've had cold weather the past month and the warmest it's gotten is 77.

It won't let me post a video
1f615.png

0.jpg

Here is a video of her last night. This morning I held her for a while, it appears when you see her beak opening, that's when shes breathing because I can't feel her breathing otherwise. And its long pauses between the open mouthed behavior. She is also now separated from the rest... meaning, they are either excluding her or shes choosing to be alone because the other 4 will be off in the corner together and shes far away from them by herself.

I just mixed some water with apple cider vin, probiotics, and a little bit of de wormer. I dont know what else to do for her.

Back
Top Bottom