Possible sick peachick

The other hen is no longer broody. The eggs were candled over the weekend and all are developing nicely. We cuddled them because we weren't sure how the two from the other hen were doing and I didn't want to leave the other ones with the good ones. All were development perfectly. Like I said...I did set up an incubator just in case she were to abandon the nest when the chicks were born. I wanted to monitor to be sure I could keep hearing and humidity consistent without any chicks in there just in case I needed it. (So far, so good). So in an extreme case, it is ready.

The hen pushed the current peachick away and neither was caring for it so I made a brooder for it to warm it. I didn't want to remove it but neither was caring for it. It was cold and growing weak so I wanted it to be warm to at least give it a chance. I made a makeshift hen with towels so it could snuggle under it and it has a light. Temp 96 degrees. It seems to be doing good. Its alert. I haven't bothered it. I checked on it. I didn't know what else to do. I understand that sometimes nature needs to take it course but with neither caring for it, I didn't want to just let it there to freeze when it was so alert. It was starting to get weak. I didn't disturb them, I would just peak in the window. To see if she was covering it and she was pushing it away. At first it was laying against her, then she started pushing it away. So I left it to for awhile but right before I went to bed, I saw she was still pushing it away and it was cold so I put it in the brooder. Maybe I was wrong to do it but I couldn't just watch it die.

No, you weren't wrong. You're doing your best. It is tough to know when to intervene and when to leave them alone.

I would remove the next peachick when it hatches and put it in the brooder with this one. It's a very bad idea to have one in a brooder alone so hopefully the next will hatch soon and they will be company for each other. Also, if you leave the next chick with the hen she will definitely abandon the remaining four eggs because a week is much too long of a gap for her to wait for them.

So you will have to raise the first two and leave her to finish hatching the other four. Hopefully she will stay with the four eggs. There is always still the risk that she could abandon them anyway because her hormones may change now that she has hatched one and soon another one. You could remove that one egg and finish hatching it in the incubator, although if you have no experience with that, it may be risky.

I don't know why she's rejecting this one. I don't think they can tell if it's their own eggs or not. Maybe she knows it's too early based on how long she's been sitting and how far along her eggs are? There's more to nature than we understand, that's for sure. I've never done any of these things before so hopefully someone else will chime in as well.

Thank you. I will try that. Some good news...I just checked on the little one. Its one foot has straightened out. The other hasn't yet and its leg still seems out a little but it did stand a little. So I'm hoping it just needed strength. I will continue to monitor. They said sometimes it takes a day or so to get it strength and bones to finish developing so I will continue to monitor. It seems pretty content and still very alert. I'm going to the store soon, so I can pick up the vitamin B complex and try that. You have been so much help and I appreciate your compassion and patience. I'm so blessed to have been directed to this site. So much wonderful advice. 😊

No, you weren't wrong. You're doing your best. It is tough to know when to intervene and when to leave them alone.

I would remove the next peachick when it hatches and put it in the brooder with this one. It's a very bad idea to have one in a brooder alone so hopefully the next will hatch soon and they will be company for each other. Also, if you leave the next chick with the hen she will definitely abandon the remaining four eggs because a week is much too long of a gap for her to wait for them.

So you will have to raise the first two and leave her to finish hatching the other four. Hopefully she will stay with the four eggs. There is always still the risk that she could abandon them anyway because her hormones may change now that she has hatched one and soon another one. You could remove that one egg and finish hatching it in the incubator, although if you have no experience with that, it may be risky.

I don't know why she's rejecting this one. I don't think they can tell if it's their own eggs or not. Maybe she knows it's too early based on how long she's been sitting and how far along her eggs are? There's more to nature than we understand, that's for sure. I've never done any of these things before so hopefully someone else will chime in as well.
Just a quick update...it is standing and walking a little. Very wobbly. Its toes are starting to straightener out. Its alert and active. Its a slight improvement, but an improvement. The second one hatched and is now in with it and mom went back to the other 4 eggs. Praying we are on the right track. Continuing to monitor. 😊

Last edited:
Here is an assisted-hatched chick that happened just today. This chick tried to chip out the bottom of the eggs. After two days I decided to assist, most of the chicks had already been moved out to the brooder.

Having lost some blood it was a bit weakened and was a bit sticky. By the time it had dried out and gained some strength, I noticed that one wing was stuck to the body hindering it from being able to get up on its feet.

Weak, not getting up, and the toes being balled up from laying on its side it was pitiful so we got out the cardboard and made two holes in it for the legs to go through. From the bottom we taped the toes out straight and the legs down also straight to anchor the bird down. After about twelve hours in the hatcher I removed it from the board, massaged the toes, and took it to the brooder. It can now remain upright and take a few steps before laying down for a minute.

The walking and the pressure on the toes will have this chick walking like normal in no time.
IMG_8089.JPG
IMG_8088.JPG
IMG_8087.JPG

Here is an assisted-hatched chick that happened just today. This chick tried to chip out the bottom of the eggs. After two days I decided to assist, most of the chicks had already been moved out to the brooder.

Having lost some blood it was a bit weakened and was a bit sticky. By the time it had dried out and gained some strength, I noticed that one wing was stuck to the body hindering it from being able to get up on its feet.

Weak, not getting up, and the toes being balled up from laying on its side it was pitiful so we got out the cardboard and made two holes in it for the legs to go through. From the bottom we taped the toes out straight and the legs down also straight to anchor the bird down. After about twelve hours in the hatcher I removed it from the board, massaged the toes, and took it to the brooder. It can now remain upright and take a few steps before laying down for a minute.

The walking and the pressure on the toes will have this chick walking like normal in no time.View attachment 3518631View attachment 3518632View attachment 3518633
So the troubled chick passed through the night. Now I have this single chick. What is the best advice you can give me on what to do with it. It is healthy so far. There is a mirror in with it. And the others aren't due to hatch until around the second. Also, once they hatch, am I able to return this chick to the flock? Or do I have to raise it alone? I have been looking all morning and cannot find any local breeders or chicks for sale.

Sorry to hear you lost that one and I'm glad the next one is healthy.

I really hope your peahen will take it back when the others hatch. You have a week now to research the best way to reintroduce them. If she doesn't take it, your other options would be to take one of those next ones to raise with it and leave her with three, or else sell it.

Even if you could find another one to buy from elsewhere you would need to quarantine, ideally for a month but minimum a couple of weeks before mixing them. I know people don't always do that but I don't think it's worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom