Possible sick peachick

Oh okay! Thank you. I appreciate the clarification. I was confused because when the adults were tested, they said they had a bacteria and a parasite and they gave us the Corid and the Ivermectin to treat them. So I thought the Corid was for cocci. Maybe I misunderstood the vet. I just thought ig they gave them Corid maybe that wasn't enough. But I will definitely do that. You have all been so helpful. :)

@KsKingBee today, we had another peachick hatch in the nesting area. It had been chirping. A little bit later, I had gone out and looked in the window and the hen was acting funny and making different noises. I believe this may be her first year for laying. I looked in and she had stood up and she must have laid on it and it was not breathing. It was still warm. I picked it up and revived it. I kept an eye on it for a bit and it was chirping and going on. The only thing that seems to be wrong with it is that it's legs aren't working. It can move it's legs but its feet are not opening up. They have started to open a little more but he can't seem to stand. He flaps his wings and wobbles around but he can't actually stand up. He was born about 4 hours ago. I am trying not to disturb him much. Mom hasn't actually put him completely underneath her yet. He has been laying up against her. He is very active. Could it just be weak? Or is there something that I can do to help it? Oh...it's legs seem to be staying under it. It's feet have started moving a little, but it is not able to walk yet.

Oh okay! Thank you. I appreciate the clarification. I was confused because when the adults were tested, they said they had a bacteria and a parasite and they gave us the Corid and the Ivermectin to treat them. So I thought the Corid was for cocci. Maybe I misunderstood the vet. I just thought ig they gave them Corid maybe that wasn't enough. But I will definitely do that. You have all been so helpful. :)
It is curious that the vet said they had a bacterial infection but yet did not prescribe an antibiotic. The Ivermec injectible is commonly prescribed as a dewormer but is not very effective. The same with Corid, (amprolium), it is not a good treatment for cocci in peafowl, it is ok for chickens but not so much for peafowl.

That's what I thought too after all of the things I've been reading. Then, today, another hatched and I posted about it. I don't know if there's something wrong with the birds or if I'm just being put through a crash course in the first ever breeding season for me. I'm determined to let the head raise any more that hatch but this little guy is having issues with his legs. I'm hoping its just weak from being so new.

@KsKingBee today, we had another peachick hatch in the nesting area. It had been chirping. A little bit later, I had gone out and looked in the window and the hen was acting funny and making different noises. I believe this may be her first year for laying. I looked in and she had stood up and she must have laid on it and it was not breathing. It was still warm. I picked it up and revived it. I kept an eye on it for a bit and it was chirping and going on. The only thing that seems to be wrong with it is that it's legs aren't working. It can move it's legs but its feet are not opening up. They have started to open a little more but he can't seem to stand. He flaps his wings and wobbles around but he can't actually stand up. He was born about 4 hours ago. I am trying not to disturb him much. Mom hasn't actually put him completely underneath her yet. He has been laying up against her. He is very active. Could it just be weak? Or is there something that I can do to help it? Oh...it's legs seem to be staying under it. It's feet have started moving a little, but it is not able to walk yet.
A lot of hens can be very nervous when hatching their eggs. If they perceive a threat like a human bothering them they can sit tighter and squash chicks. Leave them alone to do what is natural. Not all lives can be saved but your interference can only make matters worse.

It is common for chicks' feet to be balled up when they first hatch, they will straighten out within a day or so. Chicks are not done cooking when they come out of the shell, there is a lot more development to be done in the first few days. Bones are soft and rubbery until they start breathing air, that is when they start to harden. There is a huge egg yolk inside them that they have yet to absorb, and the internal organs are still developing. All this takes time.

That's what I thought too after all of the things I've been reading. Then, today, another hatched and I posted about it. I don't know if there's something wrong with the birds or if I'm just being put through a crash course in the first ever breeding season for me. I'm determined to let the head raise any more that hatch but this little guy is having issues with his legs. I'm hoping its just weak from being so new.
It is possible that she stepped on it and caused some internal damage.

A lot of hens can be very nervous when hatching their eggs. If they perceive a threat like a human bothering them they can sit tighter and squash chicks. Leave them alone to do what is natural. Not all lives can be saved but your interference can only make matters worse.

It is common for chicks' feet to be balled up when they first hatch, they will straighten out within a day or so. Chicks are not done cooking when they come out of the shell, there is a lot more development to be done in the first few days. Bones are soft and rubbery until they start breathing air, that is when they start to harden. There is a huge egg yolk inside them that they have yet to absorb, and the internal organs are still developing. All this takes time.
I didn't go in until I heard her fussing. I don't think, she was standing up but I'm not sure. She had been laying earlier. I usually just look in the window. If I go into the pen, its the outside to change food and water.

Back
Top Bottom