Possible sick peachick

For someone who professes to not know much about peafowl Waterfaery gives good advice.
Thank you. Well I do know something about peafowl but thankfully haven't had much experience with too many health issues (hope it stays that way)!

Jsaxman, don't be hard on yourself. You are doing good for your peachick. You were told right about this place being the best for advice! My advice would be to listen to KSKingBee. I've been keeping peafowl for 8 years and I have 14 of them. I've only had one batch of peachicks, hatched by my peahens two years ago. KSKingBee has hundreds of peafowl and raises chicks every year. Almost everything I know about keeping my peafowl healthy I have learned from him and I know most others who use this forum would say the same.

I hope your little peachick gets well. If it does, another peachick would be the best company. First, I would strongly recommend reading the stickies at the top of the peafowl forum and also reading through as many as possible of KSKingBee's posts of advice that he's given to others. You will be off to a great start with peafowl if you do that.

With your profile, if you click into your account information you can add things that you want to be visible for others to see, for example your location.

I'm sorry about your peachick. I haven't had them so I don't know, but both years I've gotten chicks, there was one who got picked on, and the eye pecked. I was able to nurse both stronger with b vitamins, nutridrench, scrambled egg, vitamin E, etc. Can you keep the chick separate but still visible to the other chicks? That way they can be safe and you can monitor their intake without being totally isolated. The poop looks fine to me. I would see if s/he will take a little scrambled egg, or you can even offer some raw egg yolk with a syringe, or yolk thinned out with a little electrolyte solution.

That's what I would be doing to help support a chicken chick. Offering fresh and nutridrench water, B vitamins, (starter crumble), and extra nutrition via egg. I'm not sure how a peachick's vitamin needs may differ from a chicken though.

Oh! And keep watching the derriere though to make sure s/he not getting pastey from the stress. If needed, I let warm water gently wash over their bum in the sink until it's clean, pat and snuggle with a towel, and monitor to make sure they are drying off fully under the brooder.

Thank you so , so much! I made a divorce for the brooder with chicken wire to separate them. It seems to be working. I will try the egg and have given it some electrolyte water with probiotics in it also. Overall, he seems to be doing okay. Just looks sad. I think he needs another peachick. We have others from the other gender that should be hatching within a week or so. If not, I will find another peachick. This little one is the sweetest thing. I want it to be healthy more than anything.

I'm sorry about your peachick. I haven't had them so I don't know, but both years I've gotten chicks, there was one who got picked on, and the eye pecked. I was able to nurse both stronger with b vitamins, nutridrench, scrambled egg, vitamin E, etc. Can you keep the chick separate but still visible to the other chicks? That way they can be safe and you can monitor their intake without being totally isolated. The poop looks fine to me. I would see if s/he will take a little scrambled egg, or you can even offer some raw egg yolk with a syringe, or yolk thinned out with a little electrolyte solution.

That's what I would be doing to help support a chicken chick. Offering fresh and nutridrench water, B vitamins, (starter crumble), and extra nutrition via egg. I'm not sure how a peachick's vitamin needs may differ from a chicken though.

Oh! And keep watching the derriere though to make sure s/he not getting pastey from the stress. If needed, I let warm water gently wash over their bum in the sink until it's clean, pat and snuggle with a towel, and monitor to make sure they are drying off fully under the brooder.
Good post, jsaxman but I need to point out that by giving vitamin B you will be feeding cocci. No Vit B while you suspect or are treating cocci.

The main reason for not using amprolium in peachicks is that it does not kill cocci but only retards their growth by starving the cocci of nutrition including vit B in an attempt for the birds' immune system to overtake the cocci. Toltrazuril on the other hand kills cocci dead. One of the worst things about cocci is that it will cause internal damage that the bird may never heal from. Many birds that get over a bad case of cocci will be slow to develop and stunted in growth.

I meant Amprolium. My phone must have autocorrected. My apologies. Is Amprolium the same as Corid? Shortly after we had gotten them, one got very sick. The local vet had us being in a stool sample and gave us Corid to treat them. He also had us give them a treatment for a parasite which we repeated again after 14 days. The woman that owned the house we bought gave them to us so that they could stay at home because she could no longer care for them due to health reasons. Unfortunately, there were not a whole lot of instructions, so I have been reading everything I can find to learn what I can. There is so much conflict information so she told me to come here. And there were a couple of pages on facebook, which is where I got some of my other advice. This site has been wonderful. I have a second hen which has 4 eggs plus 2 from the other hen, as she had abandoned her nest once the baby was born and there were two good eggs left yet. I had ordered the Toltrazuril as soon as you had told me about it. Unfortunately, yesterday morning, this chick passed. With that said, should I automatically treat the new ones once they are born? Also, is there anything else I should have on hand? I would like to make a little kit for my birds in case anything comes up as an emergency. I have probiotics and electrolytes. And now Toltrazuril. I do have some Corid left which I know understand only slows it, so I will be sure to use the Toltrazuril instead. And should I also treat the adults regularly until winter? Or every so often as a precaution? After reading what you said about the Corid, I am thinking I should at least treat them once since what the vet gave me would only slow the cocci and not kill it. I am willing to learn as much as I can. I have been reading more and more. I'm working on reading all of the stickers now, as well as any threads that catch my eye.

Yes, amprolium is the active ingredient in Corid. I would keep using that with the chicken chicks. As KSKingBee said, make sure you don't give them vitamin B or any multivitamin that contains it while using amprolium.

It's good that you have the Toltrazuril ordered. I would only use that on a chicken in a dire emergency because the safety in eggs and meat is unclear. The amprolium should be sufficient for them anyway if you follow the dosage instructions correctly and catch things soon enough. I would do one round with them now since they were with the peachick. After that, I don't recommend doing preventative treatments with chicken chicks because it shouldn't be necessary and you want them to build immunity. Just keep an eye out.

If you do hatch more peachicks, treat them with the Toltrazuril monthly until their first winter. You don't need to do it as soon as they hatch. I don't remember when exactly to start but I think it might be about 2 weeks old is that right @KsKingBee? Adults don't need any preventative treatment because it would be very rare for them to be affected unless their immune system is compromised by something else.

Do you know which parasite your vet gave you treatment for and what the name of the treatment was? I'd be interested to hear that.

I'm so sorry about your poor little peachick. You did your best for it and it's great that you're wanting to be well prepared for the future. This is a great post about what's good to have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom