Post (happy) chicken story’s here!

We were at TSC for lawn supplies and my father on a whim randomly got 6 Red Ranger chicks, We later figuered out it was 5 hens and a roo. We didnt tell mom what we had done, she just came home and found out because she heard them screaming in the basement. I was hooked onto chickens immediately and im now (7 years down the road) looking for bantams just to have as pets (took me long enough) as well as our flock of about 45ish chickens. Prolly the best thing that ever happened to me. Thanks a ton Dad.

We were at TSC for lawn supplies and my father on a whim randomly got 6 Red Ranger chicks, We later figuered out it was 5 hens and a roo. We didnt tell mom what we had done, she just came home and found out because she heard them screaming in the basement. I was hooked onto chickens immediately and im now (7 years down the road) looking for bantams just to have as pets (took me long enough) as well as our flock of about 45ish chickens. Prolly the best thing that ever happened to me. Thanks a ton Dad.
Aww! That’s the best chicken story I have ever heard! Thanks for sharing it!

I have two where I save a chicken, but I’ll stick to one for now.
I volunteer at a farm, and they have lots of chickens there. I was collecting eggs one day a year ago when I noticed a sweet, youngish Buff Orpington hen with something on her eye. Upon closer inspection, I saw that it was a large abscess that I now know to be called coryza. At the time, it just looked like a grape had been stuffed into the tissue of her eye. You couldn’t see any normal anatomy.
Of course I grabbed her and placed her in a chicken crate, so no one could peck it. I washed the wound, but had no idea what to do. No pictures matched it, and I was worried it was a tumor.
The cure turned out to be yarrow and plantain, steeped in warm water for two hours in the sun. It was an agonizing wait, but half an hour after I put the first few drops on her eye, the swelling had gone down some. It was so strange to be that just a few steeped herbs could heal something that big, but two days after hourly doses of the medicine, she was all better.
I named her Cloudy, and although she’d blind in that eye, it is no longer life-threatening. I placed a colored band around her leg so she wouldn’t get killed, and now she is mothering her first brood! I’m so proud of her.
-Dotty.

I have two where I save a chicken, but I’ll stick to one for now.
I volunteer at a farm, and they have lots of chickens there. I was collecting eggs one day a year ago when I noticed a sweet, youngish Buff Orpington hen with something on her eye. Upon closer inspection, I saw that it was a large abscess that I now know to be called coryza. At the time, it just looked like a grape had been stuffed into the tissue of her eye. You couldn’t see any normal anatomy.
Of course I grabbed her and placed her in a chicken crate, so no one could peck it. I washed the wound, but had no idea what to do. No pictures matched it, and I was worried it was a tumor.
The cure turned out to be yarrow and plantain, steeped in warm water for two hours in the sun. It was an agonizing wait, but half an hour after I put the first few drops on her eye, the swelling had gone down some. It was so strange to be that just a few steeped herbs could heal something that big, but two days after hourly doses of the medicine, she was all better.
I named her Cloudy, and although she’d blind in that eye, it is no longer life-threatening. I placed a colored band around her leg so she wouldn’t get killed, and now she is mothering her first brood! I’m so proud of her.
-Dotty.
Aww! I’m so glad she’s better, and that you where there to step in and help her!

Back
Top Bottom