Post office killed my chicks. I am in shock. pics - graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about anyone else out there but I am getting very frustrated with the level of service for shipping live birds through the post office. Sometimes good service..sometimes not...some offices quote one policy...other offices quote another...doesn't seem to be very good training involved. I just emailed them as follows and am hoping for a good response.

I would like to address some problems that occur with the shipping of live birds, specifically chickens. USPS is the only option poultry farmers have for shipping their birds to customers. I have had problems with the boxes being allowed to get wet (rain or set on a wet cart) which then caused the chickens to get cold and die....chicks taking 3 days to deliver (their yolk sac reserves do not last that long...my last shipment of 15 chicks..only 2 arrived alive) and they get cold if not properly stored. I would like to see if there is a way to further educate those who handle the birds and see if we can have less unnecessary loss of life. I understand USPS recently changed their express mail for live birds to allow up to 3 days to arrive. Unfortunately, this is NOT likely to result in live chicks. I have spoken with Washington STate University Poultry division about this and they are in agreement. When I talk to the local post office, it seems it is out of their hands...so exactly who CAN I talk to that can perhaps make a difference. I want this to benefit both USPS (by receiving less complaints and claims) and poultry shippers by having more success with their shipments. In addition...boxes clearly marked fragile are often received with big dented corners or even smashed on occasion...how is that fragile handling? The boxes are not heavy..it must be a hard drop in order to dent the corner of the box. I just don't understand why we can't seem to make it work more efficiently. Can someone PLEASE call me to see what we can do to help each other out? I thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Sincerely, Julie Breedlove

It sounds like the OP has the same type of postal carrier I have, one that makes the mentally challenged seem like they are smarter than Albert Einstein compared to him. I wish we could do as Shakepear has suggested to lawyers and politicians and include postal carriers. Mine has on occasion refused to deliver my mail because I had a county snow plow leave snow about a foot from the mailbox, funny my rear wheel drive car (a large 4 door with absolutely no weight like sand or anything because I never got anything because I watched the weather report and was not worried about 1-2 inches of snow) got to the mailbox with no problem but his 4 wheel drive vehicle (a true jeep made by the jeep division of the Chrysler motor company) supposedly could not....

Our Post Office has a disgruntle worker he's nasty, not helpful and dosen't belong at the counter, he's the type of guy that goes, excuse me
hide.gif
POSTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our stupid, ignorant, no account postman had left the box next to our 3 big dogs on the ground on the front porch. No doorbell ring. No phone call. No knock on the door. Nothing.

The dogs are sweet. They never leave our property. They barely leave the porch. The wouldn't hurt a human being. But they are dogs and I guess baby chicks were too good to pass up.

Hate to say it but...

You should have had your dogs put up or at least had them better trained...Why did the dogs at least not bark to let you know that someone was at the door???

A properly trained dog is NOT going to eat food that it is not 'allowed' to eat. Ex: If you can't set a box of pizza down in the middle of the floor - Tell the dogs NO - go outside and cut the grass - and then come back to find the box of pizza still intact and undisturbed - You have more training to do...
smile.png

No different than teaching a dog to NOT get up on your dining table and clean your dinner plate if you have to stop eating for a minute and go to the restroom...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom