Post office sucks

I can’t believe someone wouldn’t want to listen to the best sound in the world for a couple hours
Unhappy chicks peeping in a box is not what I consider the best sound in the world. And that's what it would be, sitting at a Post Office.

If the workers call because they don't like the sound, I don't mind-- it gets the chicks picked up sooner, which is better for the chicks and better for the person worrying about when their chicks will arrive :)

We lost the another one, it looks like all the belifelders (I think) or maybe Whiting true greens aren't surviving well. We had some pasty butt that I cleaned off. One had it bad, and while I cleaned I notice her vent sort of protruding a bit. Is that normal? What degree of vent picking is normal. There is a really bossy white fluff with a blue dot that keeps picking on everything she sees.
Did you happen to get your chicks from McMurray? We also got Bielefelders and lost a lot of them. They were happy to refund for the losses but I've never had so many losses in a batch! I called to ask if there were issues with the hatch and they just said that the trip is rough on the chicks ....

I'm getting so annoyed, and scared that my chicks are going to show up dead. I am pretty fed up with the (albany ny)post office. They are an hour away and have been there since 9am. I'm assuming they are just sitting on the counter. I keep checking for updates and-nothing. Every second that goes by I get more and more anxious. I think this is the last time I will ever mail order chicks.
I don't know why anyone would chose to order chicks through the mail if other options were available.

For example, my local Co-Op orders chicks from a hatchery, the hatchery loads the chicks up in a big truck and drives them to the store, the store calls me up and I go into town to pick them up. Unless you are buying some exotic chicks, the store will remove any dead and/or sickly birds from the lot and you can pick out the healthiest chicks in the tub. The store will order more chicks than they have purchase orders, so they can quickly replace any dead/sick chicks, or, they will have a few extra to put on sale in the store.

If I ordered chicks directly from the hatchery and have them delivered to the Post Office, I would still have to go into town to pick them up, I would have to pay for the shipping costs myself, and I would have no choice in picking out which healthiest chicks I wanted. For me, there just seems to be no advantage to ordering directly from the hatchery and delivered via US Mail.

I have read the thread to date and am happy that most of your chicks survived. And I do understand that some people may not have other options to getting chicks than via US Mail. I might not care too much if my letter or package is a day or two late, but live chicks don't age well in shipping delays.

I don't know why anyone would chose to order chicks through the mail if other options were available.
I've lived in places where the chicks in the store were also shipped by the Post Office. So I assume that going directly home to my brooder is better for the chicks than going to the store for a while in the middle.

Also, there is the matter of breed choice. I've usually dealt with stores that get half-a-dozen of the most common breeds, and I tend to want something else.

Also, some stores mix up the labels on the chicks, or the employees do not know which kinds of chicks are which. When the chicks go from the hatchery through the Post Office directly to me, I order what I want, and I receive what I ordered!

It sounds like you've dealt with a store that does a really good job.
When I was able to buy through a store like that, I did. But in any other case, I prefer to order from the hatchery, shipped directly to me.

Unhappy chicks peeping in a box is not what I consider the best sound in the world. And that's what it would be, sitting at a Post Office.

If the workers call because they don't like the sound, I don't mind-- it gets the chicks picked up sooner, which is better for the chicks and better for the person worrying about when their chicks will arrive :)
welll yeah but chicks in genaral :wee :jumpy

Did you happen to get your chicks from McMurray? We also got Bielefelders and lost a lot of them. They were happy to refund for the losses but I've never had so many losses in a batch! I called to ask if there were issues with the hatch and they just said that the trip is rough on the chicks ....
Yes we did! I will be calling later today, but they sent so many extra I feel bad calling.

PXL_20210311_155715114.PORTRAIT.jpg
This is Miss Bossy. She is the biggest and fluffiest one.

Yes we did! I will be calling later today, but they sent so many extra I feel bad calling.
We received one extra which was DOA. So because they sent you so many extra I think there are either issues with the hatch or they understand that there would be many losses due to the situation with USPS currently.

Back
Top Bottom