GO BUCKS
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Central Illinois
Post pics of your orps so everyone can see here
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
(and please no fighting) Also I recommend that you join the oldest, and only Orpington Club not trying to change the American Standard of Perfection. The United Orpington Club

Heres Mine
100_3179.jpg

100_3169.jpg

100_3171.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bella only got into one fight on her birthday! She was aiming for her enemy but accidentally hit one of the top hens in the process, so it ended up being her haha!
10462497_10201190787451422_7102262765630695554_n.jpg

Bella and her baby
10483856_10201198693329064_3424926365484574933_n.jpg

Daisy wasn't happy when Dolly didn't let her share the nest box!
10478164_10201195037677675_277906879483891447_n.jpg

Can't decide if I should get Orp bantams or not.
Can bantams and regular size be mixed?
I only want a small group, 2-3. Want them for pets and really want the larger ones but I am limited on space.
Is the personality of the bantam the same as the others?
Can someone post a pic of the two side by side or link me too a pic.
I'm very new to both chickens and this forum. Trying to learn all I can before next spring chicken purchase.
Thank you for any and all help.

LF & bantams can co-exist - especially if they were hatched together. I always thought they should be kept separately, but my 1st bantam - a bantam orp - never realized she was smaller. The only adjustments I had to make was to make some minor accommodations for her smaller size. (ie place a brick by the waterer so she could reach it and add a 2nd feeder because she's not heavy enough to open the treadle feeder by herself.) Bantams tend to have BIG personalities & have more attitude, so as long as you don't have aggressive bullies in the flock, they should be fine. My giant English orps are docile & slow moving. They eat & poop more, but their eggs are huge. (Mine are from English bloodlines, so they're very round, fluffy, & can easily weigh 10lbs.) The big girls love to cuddle. They can sometimes go broody, but it's more of an indiv hen trait. My bantams are also friendly but more active. They lay great for a few weeks..... then they go broody. My bantams tend to go broody 3-5xs per year, while the LF orps go broody zero to 2xs per year. The bantams seem more natural at raising chicks. The LF can cover more eggs, but they can be clumsy & occasionally crack an egg or smoosh a chick.

If you're just starting out, enjoy some research to find the best breed to meet your needs. Bantam eggs are of course smaller. However, if you're only in it for the eggs, you'd be looking at another breed like the skittish leghorns. Although the giant orps are my fav breed, I enjoy a mixed flock. The bantams add a lot of entertainment.

Here's a fun pic with my bantam orp in front:
IMG_9193.JPG

It had just snowed & was the 1st time I opened up the run to let them free range in the snow. I had my camera ready to capture what I thought would be a great moment.

....... They never set a single foot outside. :lau
IMG_9190.JPG

Here are a few more fun pics to give you an idea of size. My batam orp can really fluff herself up. She doesn't look very small, but she actually only weighs about 2 lbs.

Cookie likes to go broody, but because our roo is too big, her eggs are infertile. She must hatch LF orp eggs. Here she is with some of her LF chicks:
IMG_5642.jpg

"No No Cookie! You mustn't try to hatch that!"
my pumpkin.jpg

Girls just want to have fun!
hot chicks in cars.jpg

These Splash Orpingtons are around 3 months old. I they are the 3rd or 4th generation since I receied the parent stock several years back. I tend to let one set of birds free range while I keep the other set locked up in order to keep from being wiped out by the occasional stray dog.

Attachments

• Splash 2.png
    Splash 2.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
  • Splash 3 .png
    Splash 3 .png
    3.9 MB · Views: 17
  • Splash 1.png
    Splash 1.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 16
  • Splash 4 .png
    Splash 4 .png
    4.5 MB · Views: 16
View attachment 1387020 View attachment 1387021 View attachment 1387022 Are these orphingtons they were supposed to be a chocolate and a blue orphington
They could be orps. The blue looks black to me. Probably not a choc orp, since it looks to have some lacing. Although it may not look like a choc orp, I love the look of laced orps. Your chicks could also be orp mixes. Also not bad because the mixes can be pretty, unique, & hardy birds.

Here are my English laced orps:
IMG_6877 copy.jpg
IMG_6933 copy.jpg

Here was my choc orp:
Godiva 2 copy.jpg

A very sad morning here : Our dear, old Mr Dummy-Pants died last night. it was also a blessing. He was failing and not walking much. He didn't eat/drink yesterday, so I knew I'd have to put him down today. He died and spared me the additional pain of killing my beloved pet. He was our all-time favorite rooster and became a pet after he could no longer breed. He was amazing! He was very patient with kids, a gentleman with the hens, a great flock leader & guardian, the peace-maker, big, & stunningly beautiful. He is the rooster that all of our future roosters will be compared to. I can't find words to describe my feelings. He will forever be missed.

RIP my friend.
img_7186-jpg.1400966
img_3064-jpg.1400967
img_4371-copy-jpg.1400968
img_7185-copy-jpg.1400965

DD is taking it very hard. Although we all loved him, he was technically HER rooster. Yesterday she gently carried her big smelly buddy inside to watch TV together. She hugged him as she cried. Then she placed him on the floor next to her. That old rooster used what little strength he had to stand up and walk over to her for hugs when he saw her crying. He was trying to get back into her lap. That basically sums up why we loved him. He always acted more like a dog than a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom