Post pics of stock from Ideal Poultry please !!

Keeping my fingers crossed for my May 8 Ideal hatch order. The last order I was from McMurray's, 25 chicks including redcaps, phoenix, cochin bantams and austrolorps. The shipment was 100% all alive and well, and didn't lose any birds. All of the chicks grew up and were healthy and no defects. I didn't care if any were show quality or not, and in fact some, especially the austrolorps, were really good looking hens. If the shipment from Ideal is a washout I'll stick to McMurray's in the future.

cochins are a very pretty bird.. and there good egg layers but as far as sitting there more of a drop and go.. best bet is to have a sittin hen u can stick the eggs under..

Keeping my fingers crossed for my May 8 Ideal hatch order. The last order I was from McMurray's, 25 chicks including redcaps, phoenix, cochin bantams and austrolorps. The shipment was 100% all alive and well, and didn't lose any birds. All of the chicks grew up and were healthy and no defects. I didn't care if any were show quality or not, and in fact some, especially the austrolorps, were really good looking hens. If the shipment from Ideal is a washout I'll stick to McMurray's in the future.

Definitely let me know how your order turns out! I have Cochins coming the 8th as well. I'll let you know about mine tomorrow! I've heard good things about McMurray's

Definitely let me know how your order turns out! I have Cochins coming the 8th as well. I'll let you know about mine tomorrow! I've heard good things about McMurray's

I just want this as pets so I'm not complaining
smile.png
I have seen some pics but I just love them all! Haha today I ordered some Cochins from them. Do you know how they tend to be?
yes i actually had 8 before the dog attack.

self blues are not as nice as the mottled and black they have and the frizzles. other than that my blacks and mottleds were and are still fantastic i had one trained to heel like a dog very sweet and loving a bit on the small side even for bantams great feet feathering except for on the self blues they started laying early the mottleds both went broody readily without prompting. great temperament they all follow me around the yard i had a few that came when called

cochins are a very pretty bird.. and there good egg layers but as far as sitting there more of a drop and go.. best bet is to have a sittin hen u can stick the eggs under..
I was surprised to discover that some cochins are great broodies and others are not broody at all. I had a buff cochin bantam hen that would brood anything you put under her, but I have a big partridge cochin hen that has never gone broody in the four years I've had her.

Cochins aren't great layers, in my experience. Mine will lay maybe eight eggs then take a break for weeks, like they had laid a clutch and were going to brood. Except they don't. lol
The descriptions the hatcheries write in their catalogues is that cochins are poor layers but great broodies. I agree with the description of their laying abilities, but not the one of their brooding abilities. It's a crap shoot with that.

Just got my babies all settled in! They look GREAT and they're all doing good! I got 7 silkies and 11 Roos..... I have no idea what I'm going to do with the extras.... Lol I will try to figure out how to post pics (I took them on my phone)

Back
Top Bottom