Post pics of stock from Ideal Poultry please !!

I just ordered from Ideal yesterday (1-1-2015), came on this thread hoping to see what I may expect! I ordered two red cochin bantams, one white crested black polish bantam, two production black pullets, two assorted silkie bantams, one silver sebright bantam, and one assorted frizzle cochin. I have a flock of standard birds, but used to have a few bantams, my favorite (sweetest baby alive, died early in the year protecting her son, who still has issues about it) she was a red cochin, Peaches, responded to her name, fantastic bird! and I wanted cochins again, this is my first time online ordering and it has me terrified! I'm excited to add some tinies to my flock, I enjoy the variety, however the only little ones I can mostly be sure are pullets are the production blacks! Does anyone have an inkling of how many roosters I may get out of this? and I did have a question... what are packing peanuts? (I understand what they ARE but in this context.... i'm confused :p) Thanks! Ship date's 2-11-2015! very excited!

Ideal will ship extra assorted roosters chicks to keep a small order of chicks warm. It looks like you ordered 9. Depending on the weather at time of shipment will determine whether you get "packing Peanuts ". Good luck!

Feedback on Ideal:

I ordered 20 chicks for delivery 1/7/15. I got the call early 1/9/14 from post office that I better hurry as the chicks looked 'all dead'. Sure enough, when I got home, only one was moving. I put all of them on a heating pad and under the heat lamp to rapidly warm them up (hoping to save them). I was able to save 4 of them (20%).

When I called to get a refund, I asked the guy if January was a bad time to order (to MN) and said they do it all the time. Was offered a refund or a resend and I selected the refund.

General comments:
  • There was NO heat pack added to the box. (Cackle includes this for winter deliveries)
  • Within the box, there was less packing material to insulate them from cold (as compared to Cackle)
  • They did not send any extras as other companies do (exactly 20)
  • I ordered 'mixed dark layers pullets' and all where one kind except two - no guarantee of variety though

Will I order from Ideal again? Perhaps, but not in the winter.

Last edited:
Feedback on Ideal:

I ordered 20 chicks for delivery 1/7/15.  I got the call early 1/9/14 from post office that I better hurry as the chicks looked 'all dead'.  Sure enough, when I got home, only one was moving.  I put all of them on a heating pad and under the heat lamp to rapidly warm them up (hoping to save them).  I was able to save 4 of them (20%).

When I called to get a refund, I asked the guy if January was a bad time to order (to MN) and said they do it all the time.  Was offered a refund or a resend and I selected the refund.  

General comments:
  • There was NO heat pack added to the box.  (Cackle includes this for winter deliveries)
  • Within the box, there was less packing material to insulate them from cold (as compared to Cackle)
  • They did not send any extras as other companies do (exactly 20)
  • I ordered 'mixed dark layers pullets' and all where one kind except two - no guarantee of variety though

Will I order from Ideal again?  Perhaps, but not in the winter.

First off, I believe every experience with every hatchery is different for everyone. We've ordered from Ideal in the past, but this is my first winter order (due to ship this Wed 1/14). Past experience has been fine. If any were DOA or died shortly after, customer service was great. For whatever reason, our chicks always seem to arrive on Fridays, & one time I couldn't get Ideal by phone so I reported our losses by email & they handled it after the weekend. In our experience, they've usually shipped at least one or two extras. I don't know anything about show quality birds, have never had a need for them & don't ever plan to (not "downing people who do-just not for our purposes). Someone used the word " utility"--that's it. My chickens are a hobby, for eggs to use & sell, & maybe be able to hatch out some to sell as chicks or older. Ideal may not be the best hatchery, but who's to say any of them are. Let you know how my first winter order is when it gets here. By the way, I'm in Southeast Texas, so my experience should be better (I would hope) than someone up north, but we shall see.

I got an email Wednesday evening saying my chicks had shipped. This morning (Thur 1/15) at 8 am the post office called saying they were there. I ordered 75, got 77, & all were alive & seem healthy. Lots of then took right to eating & drinking right away & have been active all day. Quality of bird? Like I said, mine really don't need to be anything super special, plus I really won't know that for a while. I'm a happy Ideal customer.

That's a pretty big batch! Did you get some of the ones on special? What did you get?

I'm sorry, I don't remember what was on that special but I thought the Barred Rock Pullets were, but my invoice doesn't reflect that. Might need to look into that.
I ordered:
25 Barred Rock Pullets (got 26 IF they
are all pullets)
5 Barred Rock Males
15 White Rock Pullets
15 Black Australorp Pullets
5 Black Australorp Males
10 Ameraucana straight run (got 11)

My Buffy silkie and blue bantam Cochin pullets from Ideal. I'm expecting 30 assorted feather legged bantams next week from them as well!
[/IMG].

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom