Post pics of stock from Ideal Poultry please !!

Pics
Yes, we do repopulate our breeders each summer. Our breeder flock consist of many strains of each breed and you would not know which strain your chicks will come from. Also with show quality chicks you may pay the high price but you do not know what you will receive in that situation either. When we added many new breeds back in the late 90's we purchased 'show' stock from many breeders of each breed and took the best birds that showed the best traits from each and mated them. Sometime out of 25 chicks only 1 or 2 would actually be usable for mating.

We just don't believe that pictures of actual chickens would serve the purpose that people are wanting it to. There is no way it would show the actual stock from which you would receive your order.

Teri,

Ideal Poultry

The lack of actual photos of the chickens is the very reason I don't buy from the people that have paintings of the birds. I understand not every bird is going to look just like the photo but that is what a disclaimer is for. Just say the bird purchased is not going to be just like the one in the photo. At least I will have a better idea from a photo than some artists idea of how it should look. An actual photo of what the chicks should look like would be nice too.

Bullit, our standard blue cochin and has won 1st and BV at every show she has attended.
smile.png

6136_560.jpg

6136_513.jpg

The reason why they don't post pics of there real birds is because nobody would buy from them then. LOL They have nice pet birds but the quaility is crappy, she said that in the 90's they had quality birds but when a place like that produces millions of chicks there is a term I have for that= INBREEDING!!!!!! When they breed the same flock for 20 years and don't introduce new ones because its a security hazard they are all cousins and brothers and sisters, I am really suprised that they live, you would think that there genectics would be so messed up that they wouldn't make it.
JMHO

Ideal is a wonderful hatchery. I love the birds I get from them and think they're all just as lovely and healthy as can be. I do wish, though, at the very least, they would post actual photos of the chicks they hatch. Maybe a group shot of a sampling of chicks from each breed. If they weren't located just two hours away from me I would go with a different hatchery that provided photos, regardless of the accuracy of those photos.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi chickenlover54

I think you may have misunderstood Teri, I may be wrong but I don't think they have been breeding the same breeding flock for the last 20 years.

The reason why they don't post pics of there real birds is because nobody would buy from them then.

IDEAL is the largest supplier of backyard poultry in the United States, shipping close to 5 million chicks annually.
smile.png

she said that in the 90's they had quality birds but when a place like that produces millions of chicks there is a term I have for that= INBREEDING!!!!!!

What Teri said was, When we added many new breeds back in the late 90's we purchased 'show' stock from many breeders of each breed and took the best birds that showed the best traits from each and mated them.
smile.png

When they breed the same flock for 20 years and don't introduce new ones

Teri said, we do repopulate our breeders each summer.
smile.png

Sorry but chickenlover is right. This is off-topic regardless, but not even I would have bought my current chickens if Murray McMurray showed pics of their real birds. The reason hatcheries like Ideal do so well is because they present show-quality bird photos, and most people who buy from hatcheries are new to the business, like I was. I didn't even know at the time about the whole Ameraucana - Easter Egger thing.

And, yes, most hatcheries keep their old stock. If they renewed it from actually new bloodlines, they'd have different and better looking birds - Take their Wyandottes for example, they are the farthest from APA standard I've seen, and if they had to get new blood - They'd look different. But they all look the same, no matter what hatchery.

I'm not saying hatcheries are terrible, just that if they truly showed their costumers what they were selling, they wouldn't do as well. It is like any large business - If people saw the process, they wouldn't want the product as badly.

Anyway, on with the show! I would admit that this thread doesn't have enough pics
smile.png

Oh and silkieluver - Gorgeous cochin!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thankyou Illia. I got an assortment from Ideal and Bullit came with our order (Me and SunAngel's). She is just a lovely bird and very tame and docile. Some of Ideal's breeds breeds do quite well representing the description for their breed and others is just what you pay for- hatchery quality. So I dont understand why chickenlover bashed them, Just my honest opinion. All of my chicks have been healthy from there and when my one shipment didnt do so well and we lost some, Ideal credited our account for the losses.

One order came with my self-blue silkie chicks I had been wanting. Needless to say, the chicks were blue and black, NOT self-blue. I emailed Ideal and sent pictures and they refunded my money and were very easy to deal with. Hence why I am ordering more standard blue cochins to be Bullit's lil sisses.
smile.png

Quote:
Hi Illia
All I can say is their old stock must be very very healthy pushing out close to 5 million chicks annually.
smile.png
I have a order in for 25 La Fleche chicks from Ideal Poultry and I am sure I will be happy with them as I have always been very happy with Ideal Poultry in the past. I am not looking for any show winners just La Fleche chicks.
smile.png
I am sorry for going off-topic IwannaBEaMERMAID the next post from me will be pictures of my La Fleche chicks around March 11.
smile.png

and i will post my chicks when they come too!! i have FINALLY chosen what too get

2 GL cochin pullets ( yes, because of the amazing cochins at the beginning of the thread
tongue.png
)
2 SL cochin pullet
1 buff cochin pullet

3 Std sultans
3 Std white crested blue polish

1 Silver Spangled Spitzhauben pullet

(3) Milli Fleur d Uccle Bantam
or
Red Silkie Bantam
or
White Silkie Bantam