Post Pics of your Leghorns

The last hatch of buffs for this season.

Not a good pic but... Some of our little older buff chicks
love.gif
jumpy.gif

Thoughts? Faults?
Shes a project bird so you dont have to take it easy on her.

Eh.... I don't like her form. I know the whip tail is a choice with the whites...but I prefer the fan tail.

Also, the tail is too high. In he first photo her wing is too low, but in the second her wing carriage looks good.

Looks like she has a good long back and I think good width between the legs, so maybe also good wide pelvis. Are her legs too pale? Hard to tell.

I get spoiled looking at the old show posters...like this one:

By the way, very fond of the buff color! Nice that you have hatched so many.

By the way, very fond of the buff color! Nice that you have hatched so many.

I didnt get as good of a hatch as I wanted. Turner bound up and broke on about day 14. When it snapped all eggs slammed to one side and cracked about 15 of them when they hit the racks.
Im replacing all my adult buffs except a couple roosters from last year. Think I have about 50 chicks between the two batches. Already sold 16 cockerels. Wish it was closer to 100 I wanted to get 10 or 12 pullets worth keeping.

Last edited:
Eh.... I don't like her form. I know the whip tail is a choice with the whites...but I prefer the fan tail.

Also, the tail is too high. In he first photo her wing is too low, but in the second her wing carriage looks good.

Looks like she has a good long back and I think good width between the legs, so maybe also good wide pelvis. Are her legs too pale? Hard to tell.

Must be the lighting but her legs are good.
That wing does drive me crazy. It looks good most of the time but she does drop it which i dont like at all. I seen a lot of wing carriage issues in the isabels when they first came out so not a new dislike for me.
The tail... Oh where to start... Guess first off she only has production leghorn blood no show line so she would never be as good as the pics you have. The whites she came from do have the fan tail look but imo the set is off on them also. Her over all body shape is still off too.
Shes just a goof project so I just wanted to see what I could get to. I was thinking of either starting completely over or if she had any hope using her but changing directions and getting into light brown and isabel coloring.

My hens were white production leghorns and rooster was a fence jumping crazy red pyle modern game bantam without a mate. I decided since he cleared a 6' fence and was suprisingly getting his job done that id let a broody hatch some. The F1s looked like a short legged modern that didnt carry themselves so upright.
I breed a few back to a leghorn rooster and had lousy hatches. Because of size difference I only put the rooster with them one day a week. I then crossed F2s for two generations and thats where im at.

Here's a couple of that pullet and a hen from the same line as the hens I started with to get her.
Hen is still young about 9 months. Pullet is about 5 months.

These are a couple of or moderns. This rooster has the same type as the modern rooster I started with.

Back
Top Bottom