Post Pics of your Leghorns

Pics
Rock N' Faverolles :

Quote:
I am working on the Large Silvers. I have a single comb male that I am crossing on a rose comb female. I have only a half dozen eggs in the incubator as well and will continue to hatch for a little while longer. I don't have time right now to post pictures, but will eventually.

David

I posted on here and completely forgot about it, ha go figure!
Would love to see some pics David of those standard Silver Leghorns. Would love to see either the Single or Rose Comb variety.
I might be interested in some in the future. Are they fairly hardy and lay well like other Leghorn varieties?​

The Silver Leghorn picture is of the English type,sort of (they have more tail and tail spread). The English type calls for a small pinched tail and very huge combs. The males that went with these two females were real big,tall and somewhat angular.I breed large silvers for about ten years.You need to double mate them for color,the standard pictures are not the breeding pair.The female that goes with the standard colored male,has a lighter breast usually with some white in the salmon coloring and some other differences and she would not win as a show female.In the US the silvers are often way too small with refined bones.Small eggs,small heads and low vigor are common.Some have Brown or Golden Duckwing blood and the white is not silver but brassiness is evident.Rust or brick red is often seen in the females wing bows and mixed with the gray back stippling and shafting istoo common.Some are too dark and carry melanizers.Leghorn type and size are generally lacking on the silvers.Dan H.

Hatched 2 mille fleur leghorns from sc-farm. They are now 6 weeks old. One yellow legged, one white. The white legged one was the first born and the other was the last so a few days apart....however I'm thinking that maybe the white legged is a roo?

41441_mille_fleur_botha.jpg

41441_mille_fleur_bothb.jpg

41441_mille_fleur1a.jpg

41441_mille_fleur_2a.jpg

Quote:
I am working on the Large Silvers. I have a single comb male that I am crossing on a rose comb female. I have only a half dozen eggs in the incubator as well and will continue to hatch for a little while longer. I don't have time right now to post pictures, but will eventually.

David

I posted on here and completely forgot about it, ha go figure!
Would love to see some pics David of those standard Silver Leghorns. Would love to see either the Single or Rose Comb variety.
I might be interested in some in the future. Are they fairly hardy and lay well like other Leghorn varieties?

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. Mine seem hardy and lay well, but the egg size is just a bit smaller than my other leghorns I have.

Quote:
My silvers have good vigor and good size, but the male that I have looks more of the english type. The hen I have has better type and color. I don't know for sure, but I have read before that to maintain the silver color, you need to cross in a golden duckwing every few years. I have seen a few good single comb silvers in the U.S., but it's been a few years now.

David

Quote:
drool urbanfarmboi!
smile.png
only if I have a roo

does anyone know what makes them? Breeder says is normal to have white and yellow legs depending on the makeup. I asked Sc-farm but haven't heard back yet!!!

Millie Fluer Leghorns have been around for years,Mr Kulh had them in NJ back in the 1970's,Ron Nelson got some of this line and still has them.Sandhill Preservation got them from Ron .A friend of mine made some by accident in the !970's and !980's (Fred Van Dusen,Skylerville NY),He made them by crossing White Leghorn females with a Black Tailed Red Leghorn male.He was trying to see if he could make Pile Leghorns.The f1 were white with a red or blue feather on some The f1 were bred together as well as the f2.He ended up with a crude Millie Fluer of 100% Leghorn blood.I saw these,they were big,excellent Leghorn type.The color needed more refinement,the wings and tails had too much white and black spangles were not well defined,black tending to mix with the brown ground color.Brown ground color also had some shafting.All these were large fowl. In the case of a white leg male,he likily carrys yellow hidden.The female is pure for yellow legs. Mate these two together,retain the yellow leg hen and any of her yellow leg daughters,if you are lucky enough to get a yellow leg son use him,if not use a white legged son back onto yellow leg females and you will get some for sure the next year.They look good enough to work with. Dan H.

Back
Top Bottom