*Post pictures of your duck pen/coop!!* :)

So here are my coop pictures... right now I have 5 ducks and one goose that use it at night, I raised it to add more ventilation and add to the yard space which in my yard is limited. the space under the coop is their favorite area during the heat of the day, I put a ton of pea gravel under it so its always cool and dry, not to mention a hiding spot in case something big flys over their yard...

here it is when I had just finished it-to a certain point, I am still adding here and there.
88880_stage_7_of_coop_project_avatar.jpg

this was a couple weeks ago when I had my 2 ganders...they are at a new home now
88880_img_0275.jpg

You can see my coop has lots of openings...because they really don't need heat like chickens...and I live in southern California where the weather is very mild. I also didn't join the roof to the sides, just to rafters that were screwed to sides, this way the heat gets out easily. So far its working well, I will be modifying the inside a little adding a few nest areas for eggs...small enough to keep the goose out of them and from stepping on the eggs. Geese are rather clumsy and heavy I have come to find...

hope this helps.

Quote:
Is that a pond partially covered by plywood?

No, its a little outdoor hutch, for shade when it gets hot..
smile.png
Looking at how green their area was when I took this, it makes me sad... now all that is there is dirt.
idunno.gif
87188_dsc00185.jpg

Last edited:
Great ideas. I am building an outdoor coop this summer and looking for ideas. We have lots of snow here, plenty of wind in the winter and bald eagles year round. I know I need to build something strong with the top covered to keep the eagles out.

Quote:
droolin.gif
That is a huge run... your ducks are very lucky! I could never get the flight top netting to do well, where I live, there is way to much snow
hit.gif

We get a lot of snow here too. We ran a wire from the barn to the telephone pole and there are 3 pulleys along it. Each pulley has a rope attached to the piping under the net. When the snow is coming, we lower the net to the ground.

Quote:
The run is 18 x 25

Here's another pic...we haven't finished it but it's functioning right now
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/57454_037.jpg
Here's a pic before we added the house...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/57454_duckrun.jpg

Thanks on the size... it helps me think
smile.png

Do you lock them in the coop at night?
I also see you used the welded dog wire... have you been happy with that?

Yes, it is dog wire...I am happy with it and have not lost any ducks since I started a year and a half ago.BUT...there is almost ALWAYS someone home...The backyard also has fencing that creates another barrier(definitely not fool proof but it's a deterrent and buys time.)They put themselves into the house at night and I lock them in...every night.On our road..almost everyone owns a dog,or two...I myself have one as well so I think that helps.Some are out all night but generally most of the dogs are stuck in their own yard.
I think if there wasn't generally someone home,I would add hardware cloth to the bottom few feet and I still may if I decide to let a mom go broody.The holes are too big for ducklings.
It has worked well for me...and we plan on extending it as well the same way.

I THINK I NEED TO START A POST IN THE "WANTED" SECTION, It would say.... JULIE NEEDS TO FIND A NEW HUBBY THAT TAKES AN INTEREST IN DUCKS & NOT DAM RACING!!
rant.gif
lol ~ Very Nice Duck Pens/Coops Everybody. ~ Hubby did finally "start" to make a Coop for me, and it's actually looking pretty good, I just Hope he Finishes it Before it Becomes An Antique.
old.gif
lol ~Julie~

Back
Top Bottom