post your chicken coop pictures here!

How much outdoor space do you need per chicken? I've hashed out my plans for an Aframe coop to be about 6'x4' of usable space, just need to hash out how much run I need (for about 4 chickens... or so)
I'm sure some may disagree however I think 10 square feet per bird is adequate. I have 5 hens my run is 6' x 12' and there is another 25 sq ft under the coop for a total of 97 sq ft. Almost 20 sq ft per bird.

I have a run of 36x11 how much square feet of space would that be I have 15 birds and 8 of them arnt big enough to be out with e big birds and I have a turkey hen

36 x 11 = 396 sq. ft. plus 32 sq. ft. under the coop is 428 sq ft. all together so that works out to about 27 sq. ft. per bird so you are in great shape.

Last edited:
It's called the Brite Tap waterer and comes in a combo package with the red 2-gallon Rubbermaid jug and I got the Brite Tap red Sun Covers also.  I got 3 jugs and put them around the yard.  Water stays cool on hot days and we add ice cubes to the jugs.  Don't have to clean the jugs for several days up to 2 weeks before cleaning.  Mark at chickenwaterers.com helped me transition the chickens from using open bowl water to using the nipple valve waterer Brite Tap.  I think Cackle Hatchery sells them and a couple other places too. But I went directly to the distributor of the Brite Tap who were helpful with all my questions and immediately backed up their product when one of the Brite Tap wasn't right.
http://www.chickenwaterer.com/Chicken-Poultry-Waterer-s/1817.htm

How do you keep it from freezing in the winter?

Another run question: Is there a benefit to having it all hardware mesh right from the ground up? Or can you have a wooden fence at the bottom for a couple feet? (planks all touching, no open spaces). I have access to free wood and the hardware mesh is killing my budget, so I'm trying to trim a couple feet from the bottom. I'll do it though if there's a reason though, It just might take me longer to get it all completed.

Back
Top Bottom