post your chicken coop pictures here!

Jonalisa,

Holy cow, That is your coop? At first I thought it was your house with a coop on the side.

Geogous!

Wow, thank you very much. Actually the run is at left end,then the 10x10 coop. The bldg with the picture window is a shed connected to the coop with a door between, where I keep all my chicken supplies. The last bldg on the right is my husband's storage for mower, etc. It has double doors and a ramp on the end.
I have pictures on this site in the coop section I think . It's called Hennery Run.
More pics of inside and run layout are here:
http://pbase.com/jonalisa
See the galleries titled The New Ladies and Homesteading Summer 2014

Last edited:
I had an amish guy show up at my house in a brand new car yesterday...but he wasn't driving...they pay the people to drive them around...and the amish is delivery wood here tommarow morning...can bet there not brining their horses to drop it off...six cords...
well keep up the nice work guys...coops look awesome....hope mine get better

Well he isn't very "Amish" then is he? They avoid all engine powered equipment. Paying someone to drive you around in a motorized vehicle is not in keeping with the belief system. Pretty hypocritical I would say.

I actually REALLY like the Quonset Hut coops at Eggstreme Coops. They appeal to my 70s inner child.

If I lived in a colder climate I would jump at either of the fiberglass models at Eggstreme Coops. I came close to settling on the Amish model but there was no option for a cleanout drawer on the 5x6 and I couldn't warm up to the skinny metal legs on any of the Eggstreme designs. And as with all Amish models it takes a couple men and a lot of drilling and matching up to assemble correctly. What made me seriously consider the Eggstreme Amish were the arched nestbox entrances. My hens love our current round-holed nestboxes. Other than nice arched nestboxes there were no options that could be added to the Eggstreme designs. I emailed their customer service and what you see on the Amish is what you get with no options other than an extra roost pole. I think the Quonset had a roof vent option and that was it.

But recently I went on the ChickenCondos.com website and liked their easy-to-assemble/disassemble Barn Coop/Pen Combo with the open wire pen below (similar to what works for us now), an easy-access waist-high door for cleaning, solid slideout poop tray or open wire tray option, powder-coated steel pen walls rather than mesh wire, optional wheel assembly, optional windows, optional extra ramps/perches, optional feeders/waterers, and a metal predator skirt option at the base. It's made to order and you don't have to do any modifications afterwards like with a Tuff-Shed shell. It's lighter-weight and easier to assemble (with heavy duty slide-in bolts/nuts instead of lining up and drilling a bunch of small screws) than any Board-N-Batton, Amish, Tuff-Shed, or Fiberglass coops I've researched so far and there's no OSB parts! And the coop price and shipping charges is several hundred dollars less than anything I've found so far - including my contractor's price!

The ChickenCondos Barn Coop was the cutest nostalgic farmy look of all their models but still had a lot of useable options to create what you need/want. My DH loved the red Barn Coop - I was leaning toward the neutral beige but the red is growing on me! We'll only have 5 allowed hens next Spring for our zone so the smallest Barn/Pen Combo will be enough for our needs. As a senior I think I hit the jackpot with this easy but sturdy assembly.

Thanks for all your input!!

Amish fiberglass coops?

Somehow the Amish using fiberglass seems an oxymoron. No motorized anything but nasty chemicals are OK?

Yes, Bruce, it does sound strange. Perchiegirl has worked in the fiberglass industry and checked out the safety of the Amish-style figerglass coops for me at Eggstreme Coops and she gave a favorable reply. The Amish fiberglass are not built by the Amish sect -- "Amish" or "Dutch" is just a description of the style of the build and not necessarily about who builds it
lau.gif

There are a number of "Amish" styled and "Dutch" styled coops available online that are NOT made by the Amish sect but are commercially manufactured claiming to be Amish-built and are not.

Well he isn't very "Amish" then is he? They avoid all engine powered equipment. Paying someone to drive you around in a motorized vehicle is not in keeping with the belief system. Pretty hypocritical I would say.

Yep, like all Old World beliefs (I came from a similar background) people have to gradually come around to blending into the new-fangled gadget world; otherwise they lose a majority of their young people to the "World" and the religion/customs eventually die without succeeding generations to carry on the beliefs. The Amish lose a lot of their teenagers to the "World" and with the hardline attitude of shunning they will continue losing more. Keeping up with technology or mechanization doesn't mean you lose your life/salvation but without informed clergy or more-than-a-gradeschool education there's no advancing old core beliefs/superstitions/traditions.

Wow, thank you very much. Actually the run is at left end,then the 10x10 coop. The bldg with the picture window is a shed connected to the coop with a door between, where I keep all my chicken supplies. The last bldg on the right is my husband's storage for mower, etc. It has double doors and a ramp on the end.
I have pictures on this site in the coop section I think . It's called Hennery Run.
More pics of inside and run layout are here:
http://pbase.com/jonalisa
See the galleries titled The New Ladies and Homesteading Summer 2014
Oh, wow, love your pictures on the Homesteading Summer. Beautiful gardens, hoop greenhouse, plants, chickens. Love it. You really have it going on. Kudos.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom