post your chicken coop pictures here!

[/IMG][/IMG] i tried to post these pics of the coop we made a few months ago. They didn't show. Hopefully it worked this time. Apparently one one of 4 showed

Last edited:
Start there a full grown chicken needs four square feet of coop space,  and Ten Square feet of run space.   So ten Chickens would need  forty square feet for the coop and 100 square feet for the run.  More is better if they never get to free range

That gives you a five by eight square foot coop, and an eight by twelve foot run.  for ease of construction.    Then consider a place to store feed and supplies....  Couple of trash cans, a bag or bale of bedding, and a place to keep extras like feed bowls the first aid kit and the bits of accumulation that happen when you have chickens.  In my case I would want it all in the same location    so add at least another four feet to the coop.  With a screen partition.  This way when its time to feed or clean you will be out of the elements and everything will stay dry.

An Eight by eight lawn shed would fill that bill.   Rubbermaid makes some really nice ones that are easy to put together with simple tools.  and can be locked.  And yes you can build a partition in there out of wood .... and you can build a pop door using a drill to start the hole and a jig saw to finish it.....  use a doggy door with the flap removed they have slide in doors for locking em.

Now the run it can be as simple as T posts driven in the soil and fenced with Welded wire... for strength and covered with netting.  Or wood fence posts with an upper and lower wood to fasten hardware cloth too.    Then two by four by eights across the top to support more wire for flying predators.   Id make that at least six feet tall so you can go in there for cleaning.

deb

Not sure if it will work, because my grandpa won't like the looks of it haha. I was hoping to find somewhere that sold them for at least a half decent price, or somewhere that makes really sturdy ones and not crappy made ones

Last edited:
Hens tend to use the "favored" nestbox - even if all are identical. Sometimes they wait in line, other times they just climb on the present occupant and lay an egg on her.

Go figure
idunno.gif

Yeah, and I heard you only need like 1 nest box for every 3-5 hens. I have 3 nest boxes and 8 hens. They only usually use the same one or two anyway.

They like to lay where the other hens have as it's "safer" so it depends who lays the first egg where they lay that day at least for my birds LOL

If it's as big and sturdy as it looks, it would be acceptable!
I've had one from orschelns before and it was complete crap! I think there's a TSC somewhere nearish me, but I've never bought anything there

Edit: I do have one concern, only 5 nesting boxes
1f914.png
you need to check online to see if the store has it.. none by me carry it

Hens tend to use the "favored" nestbox  - even if all are identical.  Sometimes they wait in line, other times they just climb on the present occupant and lay an egg on her.

Go  figure:idunno

Yeah, and I heard you only need like 1 nest box for every 3-5 hens. I have 3 nest boxes and 8 hens. They only usually use the same one or two anyway.

They like to lay where the other hens have as it's "safer" so it depends who lays the first egg where they lay that day at least for my birds LOL

you need to check online to see if the store has it.. none by me carry it

Mine have 3 nesting boxes right now and all the eggs seem to get really nasty all the time, any recommendations for fixing that?
And it can be sent to the store closest to me, I found another one I like on there as well. I'd like to find someone who's tried one of them and see if they hold up

How many chickens do you have now? Are there clean shavings in the nest boxes and coop? I try to change at least the nest box shavings regularly. They can track poop and mud in from the coop too. And the run. That brings another question, is the run muddy? I think the best solution is to just make sure everything's as clean as possible

Back
Top Bottom