Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The egg on the right is from my 1 1/2 yr old barred rock. The egg on the left is from one of my chicks I bought back on April 26, 3 barred rocks and 3 buff orpingtons. I later found 2 more small eggs today. 3 out of 6 chicks are laying and I know it's definitely both breeds. So exciting. Does anyone have an idea how long it takes them to get regular size? They are guinea size right now.

I'm interested in this, too. I have seven 20 week old hens, two of which are laying right now - the rest are any day - the eggs are pretty small - cute, but small. Both my barred rock and golden sexlink are laying and are laying the same size, although the barred rock took a day off and the next egg she layed was 1-3/4 ounce (up 1/2 an ounce!).

The egg on the right is from my 1 1/2 yr old barred rock. The egg on the left is from one of my chicks I bought back on April 26, 3 barred rocks and 3 buff orpingtons. I later found 2 more small eggs today. 3 out of 6 chicks are laying and I know it's definitely both breeds. So exciting. Does anyone have an idea how long it takes them to get regular size? They are guinea size right now.
I find that it depends on a breed. My light sussex pullets started with small eggs, but within 4-7 weeks they started to lay medium size eggs, and after 3 months one is laying large eggs, just like older hens. WIth Barred Rocks, it was slower to reach medium size, and after 3 months none are laying large eggs yet. One of our Easter Eggers started laying medium eggs from day one, and after 3 weeks they are getting to large size.

I am still seeing very small pullet eggs from our orpington pullets, after 3 weeks. Same for Australorp.

Welsummer pullets are still laying small eggs at 8 months.

Last edited:
Yesterday my girls laid their first eggs!!

Yes, the ping pong balls worked!!
1f604.png
1f44f-1f3fc.png

I am so grateful, I thanked and praised all 6 of them.

I even had another egg waiting for me today. They must love me.

My buffs and austrolorp just laid there first eggs- really small- ! My red comet has been laying for at least a month- and she is the champion an egg a day ! I thought one other was laying but now that I have witnessed the line to the nest and the color of the eggs I figured it out!:celebrate

We got our first egg today! We don't have scales, but it was huge. The size of my palm and a double yolk! We already ate it lol yum!

The middle egg looks pink to me. It is the first egg my EE laid today. The others are from my other girls that started a few weeks ago

Last edited:
My Red Star pullets from Murray McMurry were born 2/6/2015, the first three laid eggs 6/30/2015 at 21 weeks.

Pullet's first egg and it weights 4 3/4 oz!

there was an egg inside the egg!
and there was a yolk inside the egg with-in the egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom