Postal system Usa and Canada

Jay262

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Does anyone know how mail is treated once it crosses border to canada or vice versa from canada to the usa. Lets say you shipped a item via usps priority post once it gets to canada which service does this compare to regular mail or xpress mail? Or vice versa when i ship a item from canada lets say xpressmail how does this compare once it enters the usa. I havent really been able to find any information on how this system works.

I'm not sure if you can do regular priority to Canada, but you can do global express mail. I do know that if you are sending packages, you have to fill out and affix a declaration form. Packages take a long time to cross the border, cards not so much. You have to buy special Canada postage for letters. I think there is information in the USPS website about shipping internationally that includes Canada.

I think once it crosses the border, it's treated similar in both countries. It's just getting through the border than holds it up.

ETA: I did find this page that might help' at least, with prices and transit time: https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-international.htm

It says it takes 6 to 10 days.

I hope this answers your question.

Last edited:
Well im actually in canada im sadly well to aware of how long they hold stuff on the border. Im more wondering of how it works time wise once it crosses the border since lets say in my example once it leaves the usa i cant track it via usps anymore. But i can track it via canada post. Neither site can i really find out whos responsiblity it is for the package now that its in canada and more importantly right now how fast the shipping will be now in country.

Oops, I edited my post while you were responding. I would think that Canada post handles it in Canada and USPS handles it in the US. I know what you mean about tracking, that bothers me, too, when I ship to Canada. The only way to confirm delivery is by contacting the recipient, which isn't always easy.

You can enter your shipping tracking number from usps into the canada post website and they will be tracking it once it enters canada. But for example i just had a item get here in canada from the usa and the usps website says nonthing either then it has entered canada. The canada post website has estimated delievery at January 5th which makes no sense its a couple provinces away which is normally 2 to 3 business days delivery regular post. Id like to know at what priorty level mail from international destinations are once they enter new countries thats all.

Wow, thanks for the info. I have family in various places in Canada. What gets me is that it takes twice as long to get a letter or package to BC than to Ontario and BC is much closer to where I live. I don't get why. Sorry I can't help you with your question. I would think they would still be considered priority if you paid the international priority rate. Perhaps it sits in customs for a long time both before and after it crosses the border.

I am Canadian and have sent many a package to the US. Once it hits customs it can be there for awhile. It does not matter if it is priority, xpress, or just plain regular mail. If customs decides to pick your package for investigation, then you are waiting. I have waited two months for a tshirt from California in customs. Tracking said 'in customs' for two months....
sad.png
I usually give two weeks for packages from Canada to the US and the other way around.

Tracking. Packages can be tracked from USPS to Canada Post, usually. Sometimes not, though. Sometimes it is slower, sometimes it doesn't show.

So, shipping across our border is a gamble on time. I have had things come from Hong Kong quicker than from two states and a border away.
hmm.png

I ship to Canada all the time.

Priority seems to get there consistently in about 4 or 5 days,

First class takes from 4 to 42.

Or I have had people pick up, too.
wink.png

I live on a island in canada there are no borders for me to cross into the usa sadly or i would have drove down south to pick up my items
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom