Potential health issues with rescued hens?

KprsMom

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Western NC
My Coop
My Coop
A friend had the majority of her flock, which lived in the country with little daily care, decimated by predators. She asked if I'd take in her two remaining ladies - a buff orpington and a leghorn - and being the sucker for critters that I am I said "yes". I have a small flock of 4 backyard city-dwellers already that are just over a year old and all are happy, healthy and spoiled. I've quarantined the new ladies and am afraid that they have scaly leg. Also - the buff has messy vent feathers, but her poop looks normal. I want to make sure to take all precautions so that any health issues the two rescues have are taken care of before I integrate them into my flock. What other health issues do I need to be looking for and how do I take care of them - worms, disease, etc? This isn't how I was planning to expand my flock, but sometimes life doesn't turn out as planned. All suggestions welcome - thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Consider medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
Poultry Biosecurity
BYC 'medical quarantine' search

Fecal testing before treating for worms.
http://www.midamericaagresearch.net/instructions.php

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?
Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

I appreciate the feedback. Bathed the ladies last night to loosen their leg scales before applying Vet RX and Bag Balm. During that process I discovered that the Buff has a bad case of lice - found nits all around her vent feathers. That likely means that both have lice and/or mites. So . . . I covered the floor of their quarantine space and roosts in DE and added a dust bath tub with sand and a little DE to their space as well. Tonight I'll stop by the farm supply store to get parasite spray to apply to both, as well as my existing flock just to be safe. After doing a bit of research, I think I'll give the new ladies the Rooster Booster multi-wormer as well. After a few days of observation, the Buff seems to be pretty lethargic, which makes me wonder if she's anemic. Will feed her scrambled eggs and Greek yogurt to see if she perks up a bit.

I've had my little flock for a year with no issues and now this . . . oh well. That'll teach me to take in rescues! Hopefully all will be healthy, happy and spoiled before I know it.

Back
Top Bottom