Poultry Breeds of Spanish Ancestry

The improved variety is the result of the selection of heavier animals conducted since 1986 to get a good carcass weight at 12-14 weeks of age. There are improved varieties of Catalana Lleonada, Black Penedesenca and Red Empordanesa.
The Dr at AVIRAUT Dr Francesch told me they can weigh 2 times the weight of traditional . How much does your hens weigh and what did your Gall weigh? Also sorry for your losses

I can't help but be impressed, I'm turning into a sucker for these large combs!
When a breed is imported multiple times how is it ascertained that they differ genetically from what is already here?  Are there tests run or are the birds imported from a different flock in the originating country? 

Thanks,
M
This I'm not sure AVIRAUT hatches many thousands of birds I believe

Hi CatalanState :)

I can only get a partially translated website and the pdf is of course in Spanish so I'm curious, what is the improved variety improved with?
Personally I think this is a valuable trait. I nosed around and found pictures of your birds, so handsome. You did say they were long in filling out--do you have ages and weights you wouldn't mind sharing? Also, you mentioned infusing your line with something; do you mean adding a different breed for a generation? Like a buff Minorca? I mean no insult, just attempting to gain insight.

Thanks,
M
I think you are asking about the outcross to distantly related birds that are separated by a decade. They are Catalanas. I was gifted a trio last fall. I expect this to add vigor to my birds and improve growth rates. I am guessing that was my biggest hang up with the growth rates. Of course I may be wrong. I will be able to tell you pretty soon.

Now they mature fast, just slow to fill out. The pullets were laying by 20wks.

I have started a grading project on the side, but I have never done any grading. In theory you can change anything into anything and pure, by continuously breeding back to pure birds. I cannot say how that will go yet. I expect them to be 3/4 by next spring. 7/8 the following. They will be breeding true, before I considered using them. it is possible that I will never feel comfortable using them. I am figuring the worst thing that will happen is that I will learn a lot about the inheritance of these traits.

And no, seeing what I see, I would not use a Minorca. My gut tells me that is the wrong way to go.

I think you are asking about the outcross to distantly related birds that are separated by a decade. They are Catalanas. I was gifted a trio last fall. I expect this to add vigor to my birds and improve growth rates. I am guessing that was my biggest hang up with the growth rates. Of course I may be wrong. I will be able to tell you pretty soon.

Now they mature fast, just slow to fill out. The pullets were laying by 20wks.

I have started a grading project on the side, but I have never done any grading. In theory you can change anything into anything and pure, by continuously breeding back to pure birds. I cannot say how that will go yet. I expect them to be 3/4 by next spring. 7/8 the following. They will be breeding true, before I considered using them. it is possible that I will never feel comfortable using them. I am figuring the worst thing that will happen is that I will learn a lot about the inheritance of these traits.

And no, seeing what I see, I would not use a Minorca. My gut tells me that is the wrong way to go.
what are you going to be using?
Id like to see that Catalana x blue Andalusian cross

I should clarify that traditional and improved varieties are different, and should not mix them to maintain racial purity of traditional varieties, improved varieties as will leave the standard.

ok so if i wanted to add more diversity to my wfbs gene pool, could i use andalusian, breed back to wfsb? or would that create more problems?
I would not use an Andalusion.

In fact I would not use another breed at all. There is enough decent Spanish around to use, and there is no need to go outside the breed. Some have went outside to the Black Minorca, and that is an option. But . . . some have already done it. I do not see a need to do it again.

The word diversity is overused and misunderstood, concerning the genetics of a flock. What you want is a strong ,healthy, viable, uniform flock that represents the breed well. Going outside the breed is a consideration when no accessible strain has the trait(s) that you need and you have become convinced that it is not in your flock to have. Then you play with that on the side and get it right before you commit to it. Otherwise you could make a mess.

I like the Spanish and have been watching who has what. A benefit that we have with the internet. I do not know who all has what completely, but I think there is everything that is needed is there based on what I have seen online.

I have not looked back through the thread to see what you have again, but for now, work with what you have. It will take a generation just to have an idea what you have. You do not just have what you see, you also have what is there that is unseen.

To make sure that your question is answered, you can change anything into anything by going back to one side continually. It is just a very long term commitment, and there would have to be no other good options to make use of.

I would not use an Andalusion.

In fact I would not use another breed at all. There is enough decent Spanish around to use, and there is no need to go outside the breed. Some have went outside to the Black Minorca, and that is an option. But . . . some have already done it. I do not see a need to do it again.

The word diversity is overused and misunderstood, concerning the genetics of a flock. What you want is a strong ,healthy, viable, uniform flock that represents the breed well. Going outside the breed is a consideration when no accessible strain has the trait(s) that you need and you have become convinced that it is not in your flock to have. Then you play with that on the side and get it right before you commit to it. Otherwise you could make a mess.

I like the Spanish and have been watching who has what. A benefit that we have with the internet. I do not know who all has what completely, but I think there is everything that is needed is there based on what I have seen online.

I have not looked back through the thread to see what you have again, but for now, work with what you have. It will take a generation just to have an idea what you have. You do not just have what you see, you also have what is there that is unseen.

To make sure that your question is answered, you can change anything into anything by going back to one side continually. It is just a very long term commitment, and there would have to be no other good options to make use of.

I agree with all of your post. There are some good WFBS around now. Bridget Riddle has two different lines.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom