Poultry Breeds of Spanish Ancestry

Leg color can change with age at least with penedesenca ( wheaten and partridge anyways) and ameraucana usually do to. I'd say wait but do not know Andalusians
Mine changed a bit to. Some anyways. Still my lightest colored legs in the beginning were the lightest later.

I have to agree that it might be best to wait a bit, because if the ended up lighter than they should be, but the birds was excellent otherwise . . . .

Lacy, are you saying white legs as in purely white? Are these chicks? Are all of the parents with good dark legs?

Yes, these are chicks, 5 days old. I'll have to double check the parents. There may be some white legs out there... actually, I remember the cock I used, that ugly splash guy (because I had no other splash to use) had white legs. Every chick in the box, save two, are his offspring. So, I guess I will see how many I have with what colors, take a look at the mothers and go from there.

Type-wise, these chicks are baffling me. I just told them this afternoon that they all look like a bunch of orpington chicks! ROUND! How did this happen? Oh well, maybe its because they don't have a heat lamp but rather a heat pad to get under for warmth. They're in the house so it isn't "cold" at all but maybe they are puffing up anyway. I don't know. I won't cull any of them for type for quite a while yet. I'll give them plenty of time to grow and look the way they should.

Back
Top Bottom