Poultry Breeds of Spanish Ancestry

well set those crele eggs a few days ago and of course last night was 32 out. Power went off for 4 1/2 hours. hope they will be ok lol.

luckily my 2 and 4 week old chicks where ok in my carport brooder. The older ones have a lot of feathering younger hardly any. the small ones are good about getting between the larger ones to hide

Well, my latest hatch (13 days today) is spending their first night outside tonight. It's supposed to get down to 31 tonight and they're all snuggled together under their heating pad broody mama. Maybe if I remember tomorrow, I'll get pictures of them.

Out of 14 chicks hatched, one had gotten stuck somewhere and I found it dead. One, the other day had a hip injury, I believe. Their little claws grow into hooks and I think she was probably caught somewhere and they were all cabitsing around and perhaps one landed on her while her claw was stuck. I trimmed all claws after that.

Another one was culled today because it had very yellow feet... left overs from the leghorn influence. So that leaves 11 chicks out there now.

Man I hate killing chicks! But, I need to be tougher, correct? I'm working on it.

Last edited:
I do too. Luckily I have people that will take my extras if they hatch and look off.
Also my extra roosters some of my crele roosters that hatch off colored I have to get rid of early and I can usually get rid of them too. Eldorado County has a lot of homesteaders , farms and vineyards and is still very wild. so everyone wants roosters for there hens here it seems

Another thing of interest is they took more like 26 days to start hatching. The person I bought them from had the same experience. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

My shipped chicks will be here on Tuesday or Wednesday. They will be close enough in age to brooder together. I don't think telling them apart will be a problem.
I have added a fan to my incubator and it seems to be working very well. It isn't from the incubator company but is a knock off. It was easy to add once I found the best tools for the job.

I checked the original thermometer and it reads 2 degrees higher than my probe thermometer. I have set a new bunch of the same cross, and, I am using my corded probe thermometer. The closest I can get it to 99.5 is 100 deg. It is holding steady.

There is steam on the plastic windows this time, where there was none in the previous hatch.

I'm betting they will hatch in a much more timely manner, and, with more success. <notice my crossed fingers which made typing a bit more difficult>

Last edited:
My Penedesenca chicks arrived. The Post Office in Tacoma called me this morning, asking if I wanted to pick them up today at a town near me, or wait 'til tomorrow and have them delivered to our post office. Of course, I drove and picked them up.

Most of the hens are the beige color I expected, but two are brown with darker markings like the others.

Now, the roosters are different. One is a deep cream color, with markings similar to the hens, as I expected also. The second one is almost white with a very very light beige stripe front to aft on his back.

Is this normal coloring for Partridge Pens?

Could the one roo be a wheaten roo????

I'll have to try to get a few photos of them to post. Have to charge my camera battery.

My Penedesenca chicks arrived.  The Post Office in Tacoma called me this morning, asking if I wanted to pick them up today at a town near me, or wait 'til tomorrow and have them delivered to our post office.  Of course, I drove and picked them up. 

Most of the hens are the beige color I expected, but two are brown with darker markings like the others.

Now, the roosters are different.  One is a deep cream color, with markings similar to the hens, as I expected also. The second one is almost white with a very very light beige stripe front to aft on his back. 

Is this normal coloring for Partridge Pens?

Could the one roo be a wheaten roo???? 

I'll have to try to get a few photos of them to post. Have to charge my camera battery.
Post some pics, partridge chicks can vary. Where did you get them from though?

Back
Top Bottom