Poultry Breeds of Spanish Ancestry

Oh no. It is already culled.

I remember having one like that last year. It's not just a small protrusion caused by the abdomen not closing completely, almost the entire yolk sac is outside the body and the abdomen is almost closed up... no way to get the sac inside.

You did the right thing by culling it. I would have without hesitation.

So you are saying that they get to 8-9lbs in 14-16wks?

thank you for posting this. The improved are bred for size and same meat quality but they are not the same as traditional. I am not sure what was introduced for size, but that is what Dr. Francesch had mentioned to me is they outcrossed for size and bred to similar look. Catalan State do you know what was used? if not i can try and find out from the Doctor if he will say

Last edited:
To get those kinds of rates/numbers, commercial genetics would have been used. Not any "traditional' type. In other words I could build a type of the sort if I used a red broiler strain etc. Those kinds of growth rates, or the ones required for that kind of improvement, are found in commercial flocks.

Some photos of my actual breeding stock of Improved Black Penedesenca

The males weight between 4 and 4,5 kg, and the females between 3 and 3,5 kg, and lay very well, 4-5 eggs for week

I like them. I wonder what was used to improve them.

Do you have any pictures of their eggs?

Should they have white ear lobes?

Last edited:
I think Ronott1 is who I will be addressing this to. Penedesencas... have you considered, at all, making bantams? The reason I ask is in my bantam pens, I have two black females with this comb type. I would just give them to you if you are interested, otherwise, they go to someone just as layers.

My past month has been extremely busy and I haven't been on BYC at all but I will be working at getting it back into my schedule so please let me know. Thanks.

I like them. I wonder what was used to improve them.

Do you have any pictures of their eggs?

Should they have white ear lobes?

Some photos of my actual breeding stock of Improved Black Penedesenca

The males weight between 4 and 4,5 kg, and the females between 3 and 3,5 kg, and lay very well, 4-5 eggs for week

these do look nice but do look like they are likely the improved since the red on the lobe is not pronounced . I have 1 similar rooster so its not impossible. this boys comb is wonderful

Back
Top Bottom