Poultry chat

rooster 2011

Songster
Feb 2, 2016
Louisiana
Hey I thought it would be fun to make a forum for talking about prices people sale their chickens for and everyone's selling strategys and what people sell chickens for In
Their area and what breeds are selling good right now etc fell free to talk about anything u want tho

I would not feed a hen for 6 months, then sell it for $10 I'd rather eat it.

really? if we're just talking a standard laying breed there's no way I'd pay over $10 for it.

When taking into consideration the time invested by the breeder (time is calculated as money too), equipment (or broodies) used to hatch, the brooder expense of raising/feeding hatchlings, the utility bills (water and electricity) for housing, poultry maintenance/cleaning products, feed bills, and NPIP status, it is not outlandish at all to give the rancher $20 or $30 for a laying hen no matter what breed. Rare breeds should be even more. If your pocketbook can't handle the fair price for an established laying pullet than my feeling is you probably won't invest in the proper housing and feed to take care of those birds properly either. JMHO

I sell cochin bantams so the pricing is a little different... for 6 birds 4 pullets 2 cockerels I got 75$. I sold one of my partridge cochin bantam roos for 40$ a couple weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom