Poultry Netting

Adrien515

Songster
Aug 18, 2015
Cleveland, Tx
Hello, I have some questions in poultry netting. First is, can I make a run entirely out of it? I was thinking of getting some 6’ posts and spacing them it and then draping the netting over them and using zip ties and a staple gun to secure it? I want the netting to cover the top as a roof too. The run will be irregularly shaped too... how much netting should I buy if my run is roughly 40x15? Also, how do I secure the bottom? I could stake the netting into the ground, but wouldn’t they still be able to weasel out of the areas not staked down?

A64DC373-B461-4977-9931-3325F204615F.jpeg

This is my run. I used carport frames and poultry netting to make a top.

I will stress this IS NOT predator proof.

It has stopped hawks from blatantly flying in but I highly doubt it would stop ground predators. Tangle them up is more likely.

I thought the chickens themselves seemed to have a hard time seeing it so I added green fencing around the base. 8CB1ED02-67C4-4BA6-BEE1-DC3B664DF935.png
It’s also not predator proof. Something determined would not have a problem chewing through it. I used garden staples to hold it to the ground.

I have had no losses or escapes from this set up. But I make sure everyone is locked up safe in the coop at night.

Hello, I have some questions in poultry netting. First is, can I make a run entirely out of it? I was thinking of getting some 6’ posts and spacing them it and then draping the netting over them and using zip ties and a staple gun to secure it? I want the netting to cover the top as a roof too. The run will be irregularly shaped too... how much netting should I buy if my run is roughly 40x15? Also, how do I secure the bottom? I could stake the netting into the ground, but wouldn’t they still be able to weasel out of the areas not staked down?
Do you mean chicken wire?

upload_2018-4-29_10-48-58.png

It's not predator proof, so keep that in mind...if you're gone all day it could be a real risk. How much you need would depend on the height that you buy..and the height of your run framing.
"Irregularly shaped" needs to also be defined before estimating how much mesh to get.

In Texas you're gonna need some good deep shade.

An apron would keep the birds in a diggers out.
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

EBB83475-C0FB-44F8-9D08-6090E428E57C.png

Do you mean chicken wire?

View attachment 1364570

It's not predator proof, so keep that in mind...if you're gone all day it could be a real risk. How much you need would depend on the height that you buy..and the height of your run framing.
"Irregularly shaped" needs to also be defined before estimating how much mesh to get.

In Texas you're gonna need some good deep shade.

An apron would keep the birds in a diggers out.
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208
I do not mean chicken wire. I mean poultry netting. I attached a picture above. And I’m just trying to find a cheap way to protect my animals. I live in the woods, so predators are a big thing. I keep my birds locked up in their coop safe at night, but still, day time predators are big. Most of the daytime predators I get are hawks, dogs, and every now and then one of the nighttime predators decide to attack during the day. The pen also needs to be able to keep cows out since they love the chicken feed so much. We spent so much money on the coop, we don’t have much left for the run... we recently tore down some metal wire fencing from someone’s backyard, and we planned on us using that and wrap it around for two layers, but I want it to look nice, and I still need it to cover the top. Another option is using hog paneling and wrapping chicken wire around it all?

Netting is fine for the top, but I wouldn't use netting for the walls as I've seen posts about chickens getting caught in netting that was hanging at chicken height. Whatever metal fencing you salvaged is likely a better option.

Back
Top Bottom