Poultry not availabla in the US

Because people like pretty things, and people like excitement. . . Most people who want to know about things like Chocolate Orpingtons are people who won't be able to afford them anyway, but like pretty colors. If you notice, a lot of the breeds people want from out of the US are not rare, but instead just "pretty" or different.

I whole heartedly agree, we should spend more time on our own rare breeds. Anyone taken a look at how many of each breed showed up at the Ohio Nationals? That was a big eye opener as to how rare things are.

NO Sultans
3 Shamos
1 Spitzhauben
2 Malays
1 Lakenvelder
2 La Fleche
2 Faverolles
2 Catalanas
2 New Hampshires
2 Hollands

And on the more popular side, for a comparison -

62 Jersey Giants (this one surprised me)
103 Wyandottes
42 Orpingtons
35 Rhode Island Reds
25 Brahmas
62 Leghorns
32 Minorcas
24 Buckeyes (interesting, eh?)

There were actually less Ameraucanas there than Buckeyes. . . Very interesting. Of course though I'm sure there's reasons why, and certainly not because of rarity.

Those numbers are incredible (in a sad way). My breeds reflect what I have to choose from locally. Buckeyes from a breeder in northern Ky and Wyandottes from another respected breeder at west end of my state.

Last edited:
Quote:
For the vast majority, I would assume the financial pay off that they think they will receive (eventually) by selling eggs and birds.

I don't think anyone here has the naked chicken yet...
lol.png

http://www.life.com/image/1543986?epmid=1

Quote:
For the vast majority, I would assume the financial pay off that they think they will receive (eventually) by selling eggs and birds.

From what I have heard a pair of Lamonas was sold for more then a pair of new imports from GFF.

You can go to the usps website and they have all of the regulations on importing eggs and chickens.It is alot cheaper to import the eggs.Yet it is very risky and very hard to find someone on the other side to send the eggs to you.Because they have to have a vet check and clean flock registered for at least 6 months.I tryed but could not find any breeders in england that qualified to send the eggs and a whole lot of im sorrys

Idk, travel around the world and see. When I was in Greece few years ago I seen weird chickens with different colors you don't see here.. But alot of people don't breed, they have them for meat and eggs it's more culture thing in Europe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom