Pre built coops

I may just buy this coop- https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...luxe-farm-house-chicken-coop-up-to-8-chickens
because it is slightly larger( and cheaper ), Although it does seem poorly made, i will reinforce it for now, and( when it breaks ) have a carpenter make one.
That is the one I have. I did buy a portable run on Amazon that is twice as big because the run for that one is tiny. I put my chickens in the portable run during the day. That one won't fit more than 4 chickens at the most. I have four and they are only in there at night to sleep. I am thinking about adding on to where the nesting boxes are to make a little more room.

I may just buy this coop- https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...luxe-farm-house-chicken-coop-up-to-8-chickens
because it is slightly larger( and cheaper ), Although it does seem poorly made, i will reinforce it for now, and( when it breaks ) have a carpenter make one.
I have this one as well. We built a run extension out of lattice and hw cloth. I sealed it with water sealant and added a hw cloth apron. It sits up on landscape blocks we weren't using anywhere else. I also beefed up the latches with hook and eyes plus carabiners.

I got this one. It's pretty sturdy. I was not expecting that after I read some of the reviews. I did seal it and I am going to put it on wood with an apron. I am going to add a lock to the door by the ramp. I put it together myself in an hour. I'm in the process of making a larger enclosure for them.

I have yet to see any.

Can you build a 4x4 or 4x8 coop? As in so you have any tools and basic building skills?

A 4x4 would use 2 sheets of siding, one precut half sheet for the floor of plywood, one 4x4 cut into 2' pieces for legs, one sheet of OSB for roof decking.
If course there would be hardware, tar paper and shingles, wire, 2x2 (I prefer 2x4 but smaller will work for this size coop).

Your coop build would be about 300 bucks with a small run.

Totally stronger than a kit though.

There are lots of ways to save $. For example I got 4x8 sheets of siding normally $35 each for 11 each at a store here that sells reclaimed and overbuy lumber.
I have yet to see any.

Can you build a 4x4 or 4x8 coop? As in so you have any tools and basic building skills?

A 4x4 would use 2 sheets of siding, one precut half sheet for the floor of plywood, one 4x4 cut into 2' pieces for legs, one sheet of OSB for roof decking.
If course there would be hardware, tar paper and shingles, wire, 2x2 (I prefer 2x4 but smaller will work for this size coop).

Your coop build would be about 300 bucks with a small run.

Totally stronger than a kit though.

There are lots of ways to save $. For example I got 4x8 sheets of siding normally $35 each for 11 each at a store here that sells reclaimed and overbuy lumber.
I just built a4x8x8 with a 6x3 run and it was 400.00 and change

A 4x8 for 400 that includes a run is awesome!
Yeah and we used pressure treated lumber for any part that is in contact with the ground like the sill for the walls don't use it wher the pigeons are in direct contact and the floor should be 3/4" plywood anything less and you will fall thru the floor make a hole and a skunk will come in said hole and eat all your birds the walls 1/2" plywood works great instead of 2x4 get 2x3 cheaper and do the same job put a slant roof on the coop and use fiberglass corrugated roofing its cheap and very strong and 19gage fenceing or chicken wire kool?!

Back
Top Bottom