Pre built coops

Pics
We bought the TSC coop you posted. We've had it about a month and a half and although pretty sturdy at first it's taken a beating from the elements and my kids. We did not seal it even though we knew better. We did caulk it together where the sides attached with screws. We also had to add extra screws because the roof wasn't coming down completely on to the frame. We also caulked it around the roof to prevent leaking. The wood has started warping and even trying to pull apart. The latches don't match up well anymore because of the warping. We've put it on 2x4s to keep it off the moist ground. I'm pretty sure my kids hit the coop with something one day because the hardware cloth was detached from the bottom of one of the doors leaving a big gap. Big enough we had two chickens escape from it. They won't admit it but my husband doesn't think it was a predator because the chickens were all fine and there were no scratch marks. I think the coop is cute and has kept them safe so far. It definitely needs some updates and reinforcements. We are working on a hoop run that will eventually house this coop after making some modifications. We plan to turn the whole thing into a closed coop with more nesting boxes and raise it up. So I would use this time with your prefab to get familiar with power tools because modifications will be necessary sooner or later.

I haven’t seen any. I just ended up spending $1500- on an Amish built coop. I couldn’t find anything cheaper that was good quality. They were all fir wood. Fir is such a waste it’ll crack, the cheap hardware fails and the structure is so cheaply made. I’ve found they’re virtually impossible to repair. The last cheap coop I had drive me insane. It seemed like something was broken every couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom