Predator proofing crappy Chicken run?

My husband bought a roll of it once but with the predators we have here I didn't use it for the walls of my run. I reordered 1/2" hardware cloth. The only place I used the chicken wire was I triple layered it in a section of my run and put dirt and flat rocks on top of it. It's kind of useless for coops in my opinion unless you have your coop inside a secure building. If you are crafty I have seen it used for decor? Can you return it?

My husband bought a roll of it once but with the predators we have here I didn't use it for the walls of my run. I reordered 1/2" hardware cloth. The only place I used the chicken wire was I triple layered it in a section of my run and put dirt and flat rocks on top of it. It's kind of useless for coops in my opinion unless you have your coop inside a secure building. If you are crafty I have seen it used for decor? Can you return it?
I've had it for so long now I can't return it no, Thats why I asked about predator proofing it by putting Hardware cloth around it or something?

Good hardware cloth can be heavy. Not sure how sturdy that frame is but even if you manage to get the hardware cloth attached to it and get an apron on, if you get leaves in fall building up, snow or ice or a heavy wind it may not last long. This would be good to keep your chickens contained and keep flying predators off them but just about any other predator could go under or thru it pretty easily and quickly so I wouldn't leave them unattended in it. The roof is just the cloth from what I see so predators could just climb the wire and be in thru or under the cloth where it attaches easily too. You could get one of those electric solar moveable fences to put around it to keep predators back and use it like a chicken tractor for daytime and put them in a secure coop at night.

So you could build a run using 1/4 in hardware cloth that completely encompasses it - including over the top of it. Then use PVC coated 1x3 galvanized fence to attach for a predator apron. However, if you have weasels, you may want PVC coated 1/4 inch hardware cloth for the apron.

And also get a high-power electric fence (like for bears - which we need that in this area) to go around the base of it. Just make sure that the hardware mesh roof is at an angle so it doesn't start catching leaves. Of course, this setup will not do anything for inclement/cold weather. Not sure if snow is a thing for you - but snow will likely collapse the roof on the tent even with this setup.

Basically, put it inside a very secure run and it will be safer.

Adding HC to the whole thing, including an anti-digging apron, would help.
What predators have you had, or might have, problems with?
Do you live where snow load is an issue?
They are decently sturdy and strong, Do you think covering the whole thing in hardware cloth would prevent Raccoons, Foxes and Coyotes from getting in?, Thoes are the only predators I have here where I am, Main issue is Raccoons tho so thats the main predator I'm worried about, I wonder if I bought metal zip ties and tied it tight to the frame?

So you could build a run using 1/4 in hardware cloth that completely encompasses it - including over the top of it. Then use PVC coated 1x3 galvanized fence to attach for a predator apron. However, if you have weasels, you may want PVC coated 1/4 inch hardware cloth for the apron.

And also get a high-power electric fence (like for bears - which we need that in this area) to go around the base of it. Just make sure that the hardware mesh roof is at an angle so it doesn't start catching leaves. Of course, this setup will not do anything for inclement/cold weather. Not sure if snow is a thing for you - but snow will likely collapse the roof on the tent even with this setup.

Basically, put it inside a very secure run and it will be safer.
For snow I could take a long piece of wood and prop it in the middle so the snow slides off?, Bears are not a worry here just Coons, Foxes and Coyotes, This is for Pigeons tho so I can't really secure them in a coop at night

They are decently sturdy and strong, Do you think covering the whole thing in hardware cloth would prevent Raccoons, Foxes and Coyotes from getting in?, Thoes are the only predators I have here where I am, Main issue is Raccoons tho so thats the main predator I'm worried about, I wonder if I bought metal zip ties and tied it tight to the frame?
HC can be torn, so it's important to apply the HC flat and taut so they can't get a tooth in.

For snow I could take a long piece of wood and prop it in the middle so the snow slides off?, Bears are not a worry here just Coons, Foxes and Coyotes, This is for Pigeons tho so I can't really secure them in a coop at night
It's the frame under what ever 'roofing' you use that can be most important.
You may need to add rafters to cover the spans between the existing rafters,
as well as a ridge to support all the rafters.
A roof rake would be a good thing to have.

How much snow do you get?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1694827347647.png

HC can be torn, so it's important to apply the HC flat and taut so they can't get a tooth in.

It's the frame under what ever 'roofing' you use that can be most important.
You may need to add rafters to cover the spans between the existing rafters,
as well as a ridge to support all the rafters.
A roof rake would be a good thing to have.

How much snow do you get?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3636620
Predators can get into Hardware Cloth?, I'm in Missouri!, Would 16 Gauge half inch work if I were to wrap it all the way around the pen?

Back
Top Bottom