Preliminary necropsy results for gasping hen bad news

Well if I understand correctly both pox and Merek's are not treatable only secondary infections can be treated. I feel like it is a death watch just waiting for the next chicken to show symptoms. I will never get chickens again as long as I live on this property.I have access to some of the top vets in the country with the UC Davis Vet Teaching Hospital so I will see what they suggest they are cutting edge in treatment and knowledge.

Remember the word MERCK, you'll hear it again shortly.

Hey, no need to beat yourself up. Every one on this planet has Merek's disease pathogens on their property. The virus is airborne and it is anywhere and it is everywhere in the environment. Now you probably don't want to hear my next words but here goes anyway. The biggest mistake that chicken shepherds make is to nurse, treat, and mollycoddle every sick and ailing bird on their property. Since Wet Pox is invariably fatal and Merck's disease is incurable as well as almost always fetal, and once infected with the Merek's virus a bird that manages to survive becomes a lifetime carrier of the Merck's virus and happily spreads Merck's far and wide, In other words I fail to understand why people put their entire flock at risk for no possible return on their investment by trying to cure and rehabilitate chickens infected with the Merck's virus.

Now more on the good Dr. Merck. There is a very fine vet diagnosis manual written by Dr. Merck and it is a must have for back yard chicken keepers. And this manual would be a very good addition to every veterinarians arsenal of knowledge.

Last edited:
because an 8 month old pullet with Merck's Disease is unusual but not unheard of..

I'm not sure where you get your information but 8 months old is not unusual at all for Marek's but often it depends when the virus was introduced to the flock. Also, there is no way to know which birds are infected with the Marek's virus. Once they are exposed to it there is an initial dormant period of at least 3 weeks before an outbreak can occur but some birds can go months or years before they exhibit symptoms. There is usually a stressor that triggers it..... the hormone surges at point of lay being a common one.
I appreciate that birds that are actively sick with Marek's are shedding the virus, but the flock has already been exposed to the virus weeks ago by the time this happens.
Yes it makes sense to cull sick birds but many of us don't and it does not seem to make a significant difference in my experience. I have had Marek's in my flock for coming up 4 years.
I nurse sick birds and some make significant or even total recovery from an outbreak but will always have the disease and be prone to further outbreaks. Once you have it in your flock and you raise chicks then usually it is the 8-20 week juveniles that are most at risk but 6 months ago I lost a 2 year old hen to it and 3 months ago a 4 year old hen had an outbreak but recovered. It just affects the odd one here and there and if you didn't know what it was, you would not even realise you had it.
I broody reared 56 unvaccinated chicks 2 years ago in the Marek's infected flock and only 3 exhibited symptoms. Sadly the 2 pullets that I was keen to save didn't make it but the cockerel that I really didn't need, made a full recovery. :he

Personally I am not a fan of vaccinating for it because the vaccine is "leaky" and may be responsible for the hotter strains of the virus that are now developing. That said, if you live in an area where these hotter strains are prevalent, then vaccination may be necessary.

I agree with the other poster's who have decoded the necropsy as Aspergillosis and Pox being the cause of death but Marek's probably allowing them to take hold due to immunosuppression.

I know you will probably be feeling pretty despondent right now but if you look at it this way, you have a flock of 60 and only 3 have succumbed so far. The majority will most likely be resistant. Much of what you read about Marek's is scary, but the reality is not nearly so bad. Obviously, whilst it is looking likely that it is Marek's, you will need to wait for the lab results to confirm it. I have lost more chickens to predators than Marek's and whilst it would be better not to have it, it does not seriously impact my keeping chickens. I hope that gives you a little encouragement.

Best wishes

Barbara

25 I ordered from a hatchery 3 years ago were not vaccinated, hard lesson learned on saving a few dollars to not vaccinate.
Even though I KNOW I have it, I choose not to vaccinate and it has NOTHING to do with saving a few $ for me. It was a hard choice to get all of my next gen chicks vaccinated for under $4, knowing that any or ALL could succumb my whole investment could be down the tube. But it's more about not having a FALSE sense of security or the DENIAL that Marek's IS in my flock (and as noted by the vet at UC Davis, EVERYWHERE). Hiding symptoms, knowing all are carriers... simply not MY choice.

Only thing it's (Marek's) changed about my chicken keeping is... I respond immediately upon display of symptoms (by culling), and I disclose having seen it to anyone considering getting birds that have been out on my pasture, so they can make their own decision. In addition to that... it taught me that it (anything) CAN happen to me, at ANY time. :barnie

Ugh... I'm most scared now to know wet pox is in CA! :(

Still that necropsy report has been very insightful as to how things can collide and become a perfect storm.

I completely agree with @chickengeorgeto about babying EVERY one back to health... But I keep chickens both as pets and livestock. Once you understand what livestock is, it changes your mentality and practices... to where you now have to do what is right for the whole of the group and maybe not the individual, EVEN if they are your closest and most cared about individual. It becomes more about protecting ALL the lives instead of trying to save just the one. That is what I choose..

But I understand how people can absolutely try their best to save every animal! A tender heart is a treasure. :hugs

I am not feeding fermented feed I was feeding mash dry I just started wetting it about 2 days before the hen died. I soak in hot water about 2 hours before feeding and they clean out the feed pans daily so I don't think it was moldy feed.Maybe the pox plaque in her trachea caused her to aspirate some of the dry mash it is powdery when dry??? I understand the point of view to cull sick chickens. I realize she probably was showing symptoms well before the day I noticed her and she died. If you look at the video she was mixing in with the flock not off by herself and I only saw the open mouth breathing that day. In a large group of chickens free range especially the unsocial flighty ones like the leghorns I didn't see her until it was too late.

I am not feeding fermented feed I was feeding mash dry I just started wetting it about 2 days before the hen died. I soak in hot water about 2 hours before feeding and they clean out the feed pans daily so I don't think it was moldy feed.Maybe the pox plaque in her trachea caused her to aspirate some of the dry mash it is powdery when dry??? I understand the point of view to cull sick chickens. I realize she probably was showing symptoms well before the day I noticed her and she died. If you look at the video she was mixing in with the flock not off by herself and I only saw the open mouth breathing that day. In a large group of chickens free range especially the unsocial flighty ones like the leghorns I didn't see her until it was too late.
That is my understanding about how it may have happened. Symptoms in chickens are hidden so well. Even if there were little signs, being with the flock is the biggest. So now you may start to see those subtle hints of *something* even when they ACT normal. And be able to act even sooner, if that's even possible. This is coming out all wrong! :hit (real tears) What I mean to say is that experience helps not only to see things but to have clues quickly about what the different type of issue *may* be. But you had so many things going on with that poor baby hard to say how many things would have been masking each other... I honestly don't know what you could have done differently. And so I hope by the comment that "there probably were other signs"... you don't mean that you are blaming yourself!

Pox... I have got some learning to do.... :hit

My version of taking a DEEP breath. :caf (Since I don't see an emoji for that).

Since I'm such a sucker for celebrating life... and could use a little joy, got a pic to share of your lovely lady?! ;) :D

Final came in yesterday looks like it is what they originally suspected Merek's and wet pox. No other chicken has been showing symptoms yet but our weather here went from really warm to really cold so now that it is wet and cold I am hoping it doesn't stress them.I will call UCD and ask a vet to review the report and see what advice they have, if any.

CAHFS Accession #: D1802271
FINAL REPORT
Ref.#:
California Animal Health and
Food Safety Laboratory Coordinator: Rahul B. Dange, DVM, PhD,
www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu
PO Box 1770, Davis, CA, 95617
(530) 752-8700
Resident
E-Signed and Authorized by: Dange, Rahul B.
on 3/2/2018 11:57:17AM

This report supersedes all previous reports for this case
Specimens Received: 1 Carcass;
Date Collected: Date Received: 02/20/2018
Comments: 1 carcass
Owner pd $20 cash

S p e c i m e n D e t a i l s
Taxonomy
Chicken

L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s

Female leghorn mix chicken :

-Larynx and proximal trachea: Segmental epithelial hyperplasia with intracytoplasmic eosinophilic viral inclusion bodies and
mild mixed leukocytic laryngitis
-Syrinx and trachea: Obstruction of the syrinx with a focal granuloma with intralesional fungal organisms with focally extensive
necrosis of the epithelium and granulomatous tracheitis; diffuse moderate lymphoplasmacytic tracheitis

-Heart: Mild, multifocal, lymphohistiocytic and heterophilic myocarditis
C a s e S u m m a r y

03/02/2018: All other tests have been completed and previous diagnosis remains the same. This concludes all testing for this
accession.

02/23/2018: This chicken had severe pox lesions in the larynx and proximal trachea. The tracheal obstruction at the region of the
bifurcation may have developed as a result of aspiration of feed particles and subsequent fungal growth and inflammation. Pox
lesions along with the fungal granuloma likely caused clinical signs observed in this chicken. Additionally, the lesions in spleen,
heart and brain were suggestive of subclinical Marek’s disease infection which may have caused immunosuppression and
predisposition to secondary infections. A final report to follow.

02/21/2018: This chicken had an obstruction of the distal trachea at the level of the syrinx (voice organ in birds) and severe
ulceration of trachea which could have led to open mouth breathing and gasping. Histopathology and other ancillary laboratory
tests (including testing for ILT, IBV, MG, MS and lung cultures) are underway to provide a definitive diagnosis. More laboratory

Report 4.36-CAHFS Standard Report - 11/2/2017 Page 1 of 3

CAHFS Final Version 1 Accession # D1802271 March 02, 2018
tests to follow.

C l i n i c a l H i s t o r y

chicken was breathing with a slight open mouth gasp; it was mild at 9 am on 2/19 at 3:30 pm the same slightly worse, some
wheezing heard by 4:30 pm the same day she was found dead; her sibling is showing some neurological symptoms, she is not
gasping but is having slight balance problems, cannot fly up to roost - seems to not be able to balance herself. The hen that died
was walking around alert, clear eyes and nose, not coughing or sneezing but she would not eat or drink; her stool was runny, not
well formed

G r o s s O b s e r v a t i o n s

Necropsy of a female chicken was performed on 02/20/2018. The chicken was moderately fleshed, with moderate amount of fat
reserves and moderate postmortem decomposition. The mucosa of the larynx and the proximal 3cm of the trachea was diffusely
congested contained two large ulcerated areas covered with fibrinonecrotic pseudomembrane. The distal trachea at the level of
bifurcation/syrinx was completely blocked with thick yellow pink caseous plaques. Diffusely trachea was edematous and
congested. Lungs were diffusely rubbery, mottled dark red brown. Ovaries contained variable sized, and large ova (active ovary).
No other significant gross lesions were observed.

BYF Necropsy Exam – 2 Bird limit
Animal/Source Specimen Specimen Type Results

Burgett Burgett Carcass Done

B a c t e r i o l o g y

Animal/Source Specimen Specimen Type
Avibacterium paragallinarum real-time PCR
Results
Burgett Sinus swabBurgett Negative
BACTERIAL AEROBIC CULTURE
Results
Burgett Lung SwabBurgett Rothia nasimurium Rare#
Mixed flora Rare#
Biotyper Organsim Identification
Results
Burgett Lung SwabBurgett Rothia nasimurium
B i o t e c h n o l o g y
Infectious Bronchitis virus RNA qRT PCR
Results
Burgett Oropharyngeal/Tracheal
Swab
Burgett Not detected
Infectious Laryngotracheitis Virus, DNA, PCR Fluids
Results
Swab
Burgett Not detected
Influenza A PCR with Internal Control
Results
Swab
Burgett Not Detected
Mycoplasma Gallisepticum and Mycoplasma Synoviae
Swab
Burgett
Analyte Result Units
CtNot detectedMG
Page 2 of 3Report 4.36-CAHFS Standard Report - 11/2/2017

CAHFS Final Version 1 Accession # D1802271 March 02, 2018
MS Not detected Ct
H i s t o l o g y

Representative sections of lung, heart, liver, spleen, kidneys, esophagus, pancreas, brain, peripheral nerves, trachea, larynx, and
intestines were examined.

Trachea: The lumen associated with tracheal bifurcation at the syrinx was plugged with a large, irregularly oval, fungal granuloma
consisting of numerous parallel wall, acute angle dichotomous branching, septate fungal organisms (compatible with Aspergillus
species) mixed with large numbers of coccobacilli, large amount of fibrin and necrotic debris and surrounded by moderate
numbers of heterophils and histiocytes. The underlying epithelium was focally extensively necrotic and there was accumulation of
homogenous to fibrillar eosinophilic material (fibrin). The trachea was diffusely infiltrated with small numbers of lymphocytes and
plasma cells.

Larynx and proximal trachea: There was multifocal areas of thickening of the mucosa due to moderate piling up of the epithelium
in several layers (hyperplasia). The epithelial cells were markedly swollen (ballooning degeneration) and contained one to three
15-20 um, glassy, eosinophilic, intracytoplasmic, viral inclusion (Bollinger body). Mucosa exhibited multifocal areas of erosion
and ulceration. There infiltration of variable quantities and concentration of mixed leukocytes population that surrounded cellular
and karyorrhectic debris.

Lung: There was focal periparabronchial infiltration of moderate numbers of lymphocytes and plasma cells.

Heart: There were multifocal perivascular to interstitial aggregates of small numbers of lymphocytes, lymphoblasts, heterophils
and plasma cells within the myocardium.

Liver: There was focal large perivascular lymphoplasmacytic aggregate.

Brain: The cortex contained a focal perivascular, infiltration of lymphocytes, blast cells and occasional plasma cells arranged in
2-3 layers.

Spleen: There were multifocal sheets of the atypical lymphoid cells scattered throughout the parenchyma and there was marked
lymphoid depletion.

Ureter and kidney: There was multifocal infiltration of small numbers of lymphocytes and plasma cells around the ureter.

I m m u n o H i s t o C h e m i s t r y

Infectious bronchitis virus immunohistochemistry
Animal/Source Specimen Specimen Type Results
Burgett Block T08 Tissue Block Negative

Report 4.36-CAHFS Standard Report - 11/2/2017 Page 3 of 3

Many thanks for that. I am a little surprised that they do not specifically confirm Marek's in the final report. I don't know if that is because it was not the primary cause of death or if they did not do PCR sampling. I am sorry that it appears to be the underlying cause though. I'm currently in a similar situation with the weather as we are having an extended period of snow and I'm also worrying that confinement will trigger an outbreak. I have one bird that just recovered a couple of months ago from a mild but extended attack of Marek's and I'm concerned that this will cause it to reactivate as she is low in the pecking order. The weather was promising spring a week ago and it was glorious, then it has snowed for 5 days and we have a foot of snow and they will not leave the coop and are getting ratty with each other. Arrgh!

Cold for us is 35 degrees! I can't imagine living in the snow I have been in CA all my life. I was surprised too about the Merek's is there a specific test that would definitively show Merek's? I am very thankful there is a service that will do all of this testing for $20 I think that is amazing considering what that would cost if the chicken went to the vet and they started doing lab work.

Back
Top Bottom