Preparing to set call and pekin duck eggs! Hatch day should be March 4, 2021 if all goes well!

I don't know. I bet @BirdsBeesTrees @shawluvsbirds @WVduckchick or @Conan will know. That would be tough so I don't envy you in that. I would certainly try it instead of leaving her with nothing. She worked hard but I totally understand not having the space. I'm already working on space for more ducks in the Spring. I've been eyeing eggs from a couple of people and I imagine Lylah, Faith, Miley, Maggie, Della, Blue Belle, and Diva will want to hatch some eggs. I need to look into broodiness of Aztec's and Aussie Spots, but being bantams, I suspect they'll be broody little girls.
Do you have the same number of eggs in the incubator as your broody is sitting on?

I don't know. I bet @BirdsBeesTrees @shawluvsbirds @WVduckchick or @Conan will know. That would be tough so I don't envy you in that. I would certainly try it instead of leaving her with nothing. She worked hard but I totally understand not having the space. I'm already working on space for more ducks in the Spring. I've been eyeing eggs from a couple of people and I imagine Lylah, Faith, Miley, Maggie, Della, Blue Belle, and Diva will want to hatch some eggs. I need to look into broodiness of Aztec's and Aussie Spots, but being bantams, I suspect they'll be broody little girls.
Do you have the same number of eggs in the incubator as your broody is sitting on?
I have 6 eggs in my incubator and my broody is sitting on 9. I will be selling off most if not all of the ducklings from the other batch. I really hate to leave her without any. I am for sure keeping the little blue bib. It has an eye issue that I’m tending to.
The duckling hatched last night and her eggs have just started to shadow.

I’ve always wanted a blue, this little one will be my first! :love
If you switch out the ducklings you want to sell and the one you want her to keep at night it would be better. Is there any way you could keep 2 ducklings for the momma?
Sometimes hens are good sitters but not good mothers. How bad do you want this duckling to live? I've seen lots of hen ducks take off without their babies.

If you switch out the ducklings you want to sell and the one you want her to keep at night it would be better. Is there any way you could keep 2 ducklings for the momma?
Sometimes hens are good sitters but not good mothers. How bad do you want this duckling to live? I've seen lots of hen ducks take off without their babies.
Thanks for the great advice. I might be able to keep another one. I hope she’s a good mother. I have another call that was definitely not.

If you want to keep the one you hatched and give it to momma, I agree, I’d let her keep it and one more. BUT, she will likely raise a loner without any problems. I would try to integrate it with the others before you take the others though. Then she probably won’t know the difference, and will welcome it in. I did that after one of my hens stole ducklings from the other hen, while she waited on the last ones to hatch. Good luck!

Supposed to be a drinking container, not a swimming pool :lol:
AD2512AC-9043-4828-9FF6-794C6D1164B5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom