Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

We skipped using the grommets almost completely on ours, Miss Bee. The doggone things are never exactly where you need them the most, and I'm too lazy and un-talented to put new ones where I want them. So we just use the grommets on one side - the anchor side on the west - and then use heavy spring clamps on the rest. Having it anchored on one side allows us to pull the other sides snugly into position, then we just give them a roll or two to fit and clamp them to the cattle panels. Man, that worked slick last winter. On nice days we could just unclip, roll the tarp as much as we wanted to allow more air exchange in and out, then re-clip to the new position. One wintry day our winds were gusting to 72 mph and they held totally and beautifully. I really like the flexibility this gives us to take advantage of more balmy days and protect when it's really nasty. The adjusting doesn't take but a few minutes, so we aren't out there freezing our hineys off fiddling with it, either.

I'd love to do the "wings" like you have, but I know there is no way I can do it here. Our situation is totally unique, and our needs are special for our area, and geared especially to my little feathered friends who are totally different than anyone else's feathered friends and .....and.....
hide.gif
lau.gif
Blooie, can you give a link to those clamps?????
I thought I'd share our winterization plan for our coop. We decided to put something up to prevent the snow from getting into the enclosure and only covered two sides, leaving the other two open to air. I wanted to staple up plastic sheeting, but my husband had a more expensive idea--about $200 all in. We put clear plastic panels up in a way that we can remove them easily and without tools and store them for summer. We live in southwest Michigan and get a lot of snow starting around...um. Now. It's totally time. So here's what we did, I hope it's useful.

Before: The coop regularly gets snow in it, and I have to shovel every day, or my girls won't go out and get their food.

These polycarbonate panels were about $30 each at Lowe's for a 12' x 26" wide (they also come in 8' lengths for about $20 each). They are really great material-heavy but not brittle, and easy to cut with tin snips.

We cut them to size and leaned them against the interior of the enclosure, and fashioned simple fasteners out of pine trim. Drill hole in the end,

Then use the table saw to cut a notch in the end that goes through the hole you just drilled.

Attach a screw eye (we used open ended ones) to the coop frame.

Slide the trim piece onto the screw eye and put a bolt through, and Bob's your uncle.

My husband hanging the panels

The finished product. This took us a total of about 3 hours to construct.

Sue, awesome plan. I love the ingenuity!

I thought I'd share our winterization plan for our coop. We decided to put something up to prevent the snow from getting into the enclosure and only covered two sides, leaving the other two open to air. I wanted to staple up plastic sheeting, but my husband had a more expensive idea--about $200 all in. We put clear plastic panels up in a way that we can remove them easily and without tools and store them for summer. We live in southwest Michigan and get a lot of snow starting around...um. Now. It's totally time. So here's what we did, I hope it's useful.

Attach a screw eye (we used open ended ones) to the coop frame.

Slide the trim piece onto the screw eye and put a bolt through, and Bob's your uncle.

I love this...simple mechanics.
Where are you in SW Mich?.....I'm just west of Paw Paw

The South Carolina Piedmont rarely gets any colder that 20-25F, and then only at nights. Since my birds always spend their nights huddled on the roosts in the coop no additional heating is needed (the ventilation is situated so that the roosts are well out of any drafts). The only additional item I will be adding is a thermostatic heated fount (waterer) so their water won't freeze overnight.

The South Carolina Piedmont rarely gets any colder that 20-25F, and then only at nights. Since my birds always spend their nights huddled on the roosts in the coop no additional heating is needed (the ventilation is situated so that the roosts are well out of any drafts). The only additional item I will be adding is a thermostatic heated fount (waterer) so their water won't freeze overnight.
Thank you for this post, fellow south carolinian. I have only been here one winter before and this is the first with chickens. Makes me feel better about my plans (close a known drafty area or two with clear plastic and monitor water). Do you have electricity to your coop already? If not, how are you planning to handle that?

I live in Southwestern Lower Michigan and it gets very cold here. I have a metal heated base and a metal water can that I used several years ago with my flock. I didn't keep chickens for a few years and now I have a new flock of young birds. I have been using a hen hydrator bucket with the nipples in the bottom of the bucket, and I love it. No more bedding scratched up in the water. I really don't want to go back to using the metal water can. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to keep the water from freezing in the plastic bucket. I've looked at a Farm Innovators Chicken Waterer De-Icer to put in the bucket. It claims to be safe in plastic buckets. What I can't figure out is it supposed to hang in the bucket or lay on the bottom of the bucket? Has anyone used one of these de-icers? Any other suggestions for keeping the water liquid?

My husband gets the credit for the support design. I wish I was that clever!
We are really close to you, Vicksburg.
smile.png
Lived on Portage Lake for year, oh. 30 years ago...Vburg was a nice little town.

I live in Southwestern Lower Michigan and it gets very cold here. I have a metal heated base and a metal water can that I used several years ago with my flock. I didn't keep chickens for a few years and now I have a new flock of young birds. I have been using a hen hydrator bucket with the nipples in the bottom of the bucket, and I love it. No more bedding scratched up in the water. I really don't want to go back to using the metal water can. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to keep the water from freezing in the plastic bucket. I've looked at a Farm Innovators Chicken Waterer De-Icer to put in the bucket. It claims to be safe in plastic buckets. What I can't figure out is it supposed to hang in the bucket or lay on the bottom of the bucket? Has anyone used one of these de-icers? Any other suggestions for keeping the water liquid?
Welcome to BYC!!
So where are you in SW Mich?
Many different kinds of 'de-icers' some can have plastic contact some cannot, shop carefully.
Lots of threads to search for here to get anecdotal experience.
Tho the vertical nipples are not very freeze proof, even with heated water.
I went with this https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples

Last edited:
@lazy gardener They are available in any hardware store but here's a link just to show you a picture of what I'm using. I think mine are a little flatter on the business end, though, and I darn sure didn't pay that price for them...more like around $2.00 + each for them. If you get them at your local hardware store, they have assorted sizes, so just pick the ones you think will hold what you need.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-in-Spring-Clamp-80002/100027346

Back
Top Bottom