Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

Quote:
Sort of, this is the first time I will have electricity in the coop/run area. I got tired of carrying hot water down to the coop every day to thaw theirs' out so they could drink. So when I built the new coop having power available at least for keeping water from freezing during the winter was definitely on the to-do list. For right now I will be using a 100' outdoor extension cord from the shed to the run, but I intend to eventually encase it inside of PVC pipe and bury it underground for something more permanent; It will be made so I can still plug and unplug it from the source as needed though. I will also be using a GFCI* for protection when it is being used. I've read too many posts of people's entire flocks being fricasseed when their coop went up due to some electrical mishap.

Maybe next summer I'll string a cable from the satellite so they can enjoy their favorite shows too...
wink.png

*Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter - disconnects the power if it detects any variance in the current flow, as from a short either in the circuit itself or to ground.

That's my big advantage...having a pro electrician for a hubby! Got a double outlet and light switch, plus a hardwired exhaust fan in the coop and then an outdoor rated, covered GFCI in the run. Makes it so nice for putting the little tank heater in the water, setting up the Mama Heating Pad brooder. flipping the light on when darkness is sneaking up on me before chores are done, and running that fan!

That's my big advantage...having a pro electrician for a hubby! Got a double outlet and light switch, plus a hardwired exhaust fan in the coop and then an outdoor rated, covered GFCI in the run. Makes it so nice for putting the little tank heater in the water, setting up the Mama Heating Pad brooder. flipping the light on when darkness is sneaking up on me before chores are done, and running that fan!
Blooie,

What kind of exhaust fan do you have ? I have two exhaust "windows" that could use some extra help i'm sure ...

Thanks!

We got an exhaust fan designed as a replacement part for old mobile homes. There's a place online (Google "older mobile home replacement parts") that sells nothing but.... Older mobiles have walls that are only about 2 inches thick, so the profile of this fan is thin to fit in them, making it ideal for using in the thinner walls of a coop. Ken wired ours so that I can open it but not have the fan running for passive ventilation in winter, or have it open with the fan running for active ventilation. I can also close it completely if I have to, but so far it's always left open. It's been in there now for 3 years with no issues whatsoever. It's located up high in the coop, above the people door and has rapidly become one of my favorite features of our setup.

We got an exhaust fan designed as a replacement part for old mobile homes. There's a place online (Google "older mobile home replacement parts") that sells nothing but.... Older mobiles have walls that are only about 2 inches thick, so the profile of this fan is thin to fit in them, making it ideal for using in the thinner walls of a coop. Ken wired ours so that I can open it but not have the fan running for passive ventilation in winter, or have it open with the fan running for active ventilation. I can also close it completely if I have to, but so far it's always left open. It's been in there now for 3 years with no issues whatsoever. It's located up high in the coop, above the people door and has rapidly become one of my favorite features of our setup.
Blooie,

Cool! I'll have to take a look - I assume your placement keeps it from getting wet etc ? That's my only fear.

Is this something like what you have? http://mobilehomepartsstore.com/parts/250251.html

Thanks.

- Jason

Last edited:
Yep, that's it. Nice sleuthing!! We just have ours open all the time and the cover forms a sort of "awning" over it. Never had a problem with it, and of course it's GFCI protected too. Here in northwestern Wyoming winds in excess of 50 mph are not at all uncommon - in fact, we have been without power since 4:30 am because of wind - again. <sigh>

Hard to see in this photo, but the fan cover is open.

This was the day we put it in, so it's still closed in this shot.

Cover open and fan running, perfect in hot summer too!

Quote:As a general rule it does. There's a pull chain on the inside, and when you pull that the cover opens and the fan automatically starts. But Mr. Electrical Engineering Degree wired ours in such a way that we can pull the chain to open the cover, but we turn on the actual fan itself with a light switch. (He comes in so handy!!) Cover stays open because there is a channel on the inside framework of the fan that the chain hooks into. Works awesome! I'll take a couple of shots of mine in the kitchen to make it clearer, although mine is an automatic run when I pull the chain.

Last edited:
The coop was pretty easy to prepare for winter and I'm still gathering leaves for bedding but all in all, it's a done deal. Invested in a larger clear tarp this year so that the whole coop can benefit from the light of the sun this winter. Replaced the plastic "cap" on the top/roof of the coop that is underlying the tarp...this keeps the tarp from getting wear and tear from the ribs of the cattle panels over time.

My brother works as a lifeguard, so was able to give me several old pool noodles to use around the place as needed....they turned out perfect for protecting the tarp from any sharp edges of the cattle panels.

Currently working on jacking up the front of the coop to allow for more head room, more air flow and for deeper litter...got the front elevated with the use of old 4x4s and cement blocks that we had on hand and will fill in all the gaps at the bottom with other scrap wood and such so that I can contain the chickens and the litter.

Sacrificed one of the nesting units to hold the heated water bowl...ideal for keeping it up out of the litter and keeping them from dusting/scratching too much debris into the open water. Did this same thing last year and it worked out beautifully.

Stored some bags of leaves on top of the dog's house, located at the back of the coop, and this will insulate it from that end but I worry that it wasn't a wise decision due to that being the end where they roost and the bags of leaves may obstruct good airflow under that end of the roof. If I start to see darkening of any comb tips this year I'll likely have to remove that feature and store those leaves elsewhere.

Currently building a stoop at the front door to make up for the height difference of the newly elevated coop front....using all free and on hand stuff for this coop tweak, though the tarp did cost me but I consider it an investment that will pay for itself for a few years to come.

The litter is nice and deep, the coop is sunny and I'm currently carving the flock down to a winter stocking rate so winter coop preparations are nearly complete. Good thing this winter has been unseasonably warm thus far, as I'm running a little behind.

Unseasonably warm indeed! Here it is, it's December 1st and I haven't got to winterized our run. Between work travels, kids schools and holidays the multiple clear shower curtains (@$2.00/piece) I bought are not up yet to protect all sides of the our run. Found out much cheaper to use these than the 8 mil roles I've purchased couple of years ago that tears easy.

Back
Top Bottom