Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

This is a good thread. I was wondering why I need to do for winter as this is my first year with hens. We are on a small island off Vancouver Island so it doesn't get much below freezing. My chickens do free range during the day. Is there anything I need to do?
Well, there's a lot of things you can do to ensure the well-being of your flock. I see that you are in WA state. As you say you don't get much snow, but you do get lots of rain and cold winds I imagine. You might think about 'wrapping' your run with 6-mil plastic sheeting to keep those cold winds off your girls...they'll love you for it. Now's the time to check for any repairs that need doing on either your coop or run.

Making sure there is good ventilation is key. But you don't want drafts on them, especially at night while they're roosting. Make sure of that. Start your winter months off with a good deep cleaning of the coop, laying down fresh, deep floor bedding. I use pine wood shavings (not the fine stuff).

Keep watching this thread and you'll get all kinds of ideas I'm sure...wishing you all the best!!
frow.gif

Where do you get the horizontal water nipples? We are in Maine and just started our flock early this spring. We haven't been through a winter yet. Our run is 20 X 30 and we have 15 chickens and 2 Guinea hens who live peacefully together. Our "big" coop is 4.5 ft deep and 9.5 feet wide and about 5 ft tall. It has a window. The "little" coop cottage is 5 ft X 5 ft. and only 2.5 ft tall inside. But no window.

Right now 4 chickens sleep in the cottage and the other 13 sleep in the big house. I 'm thinking we should make everyone bunk up together in the big house for the winter. What do you think?
Maureen
The Goronson Chicks
PM sent 3:09pm today

Our heat lamps are even above my head when I'm in the chicken coop and they are secured in with hooks that you can't get them off of unless you really push. I know that most people probably don't have a coop that big, but it's just what works for us. We have to heat a 64 sq ft chicken coop, and the lamps have been our go-to. 

Agreed! Our lamps are safe and secure, and the hens appreciate it by giving us nice big summer crop eggs. We see no change in egg production here in northwest Louisiana. I thank the lamps.

Is there any such thing as a simple timer for an electric light (in my coop) that is not hard-wired? I like to keep things simple (brain matter disintegrating as we speak). I don't need "7-day programmable blah blah blah" .. just a simple timer that will turn the light bulb on at 5am and off at 8am. I just want to be able to plug a simple timer into the existing light and then to the main plug for the juice...

ANYONE??

Is there any such thing as a simple timer for an electric light (in my coop) that is not hard-wired? I like to keep things simple (brain matter disintegrating as we speak). I don't need "7-day programmable blah blah blah" .. just a simple timer that will turn the light bulb on at 5am and off at 8am. I just want to be able to plug a simple timer into the existing light and then to the main plug for the juice...

ANYONE??

Get an older analog timer like this... They might not carry this exact model in the store but they will carry a similar one for under $10...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Woods-500...nical-24-Hour-Lamp-Timer-White-50000/21682990

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Woods-500...for-Lamps-and-Appliances-White-50001/21683001

Last edited:

ANYONE??

OK, well you can buy a screw in adapter for the (I assume) light socket, then just get a simple timer that you use around Christmas time that can work from dusk to dawn or switch to 2 hr, 4 hr, 6 hr or dusk to dawn. The timer comes on at dusk by the optic eye and you adjust to the 2,4, 6 hr or full duk to dawn, around $10 bucks at WM or Lowe's or Home Depot. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brink-s-44-1065-2-Brinks-Outdoor-Digital-Timer-with-6-Cord-Black/34038268 OOps! I assumed you wanted one at night.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Westek-TM12DOLB-Westek-TM12DOLB-1-Outlet-Timer-Outdoor-Rated-Black/21615525
This is a programmable one. Of course nothing is easy, you will need this to plug into the socket adapter
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Which is this http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
Sorry, simple when you have all three parts. LOL Good luck.

Me again...lol
To go back to water heaters, would a regular aquarium heater work rather then the 'bird feeder' type?

Will it work, yes they will but they are made to hold the water in say the 70°+ range, not the 40° range a stock tank heater holds the water... Also most have a high failure rate under extreme use, they are glass and prone to shatter especially if the water bucket runs dry or low, and you risk the possibility of them melting the bucket if they come in contact with the side of the bucket especially if the water runs low...

Just some things to consider... If I was to use a fish tank heater I would get one that goes to the lowest temp you can find then wrap it in tube of hardware mesh, or a metal pipe with lots of holes drilled in it, so that it won't bump the plastic, and lay it flat on the bottom of the bucket...

Something to consider you can also just use an over the counter heated bucket, just make sure where you drill isn't where the heating elements are, pretty easy if you use horizontal nipples... Then just makeshift a lid for the bucket...

Back
Top Bottom