Pics
I was going to go through all of my store bought canned goods and arrange them in order of type and expiration date. However, I got side tracked when I saw a mouse in my kitchen, and now I'm tearing through all of the storage on that shelf!
Going through all of my Rubbermaid storage trying to find lids for each one, and proclaiming "WINNER' every time I found one! :gig
One container doesn't have a lid at all, :confused: and I'm not joking.... 35 extra lids to throw away! :eek:

0E42AD52-E83F-43EB-A21F-481F3D8212FF.jpeg

I'm pulling the parsnips soon. Any thoughts on the best way to store them?
I cannot store them in the ground because the ground will soon freeze solid. I store Jerusalem artichokes in the fridge in a gallon zip bag. That keeps them fresh and prevents them from drying out and shriveling up. Would the same work for parsnips? I hace some extra large 2 or 3 gallon zip bags they would fit in. Or should I freeze them? I'm not a fan of canning root vegetables as I find they taste bland later as if they were boiled (because they basically are boiled in the canning process).

The local produce store had squash and pumpkins on sale for $1 each. I bought two hubbards and two turbans. I'm new to both of these in the kitchen. Now I'm figuring out what to do with them.

It looks like the turban is the right texture to bake into a pie, mashed squash, or roasted squash, or a stuffed squash (which I hope to do with one of the two).

As for the hubbard, what the heck do you do with it? Looking it up I found that it's said to be less sweet and more like a baked potato in texture. It's a difficult shape to stuff because I fear it may roll over. And I'm not so sure about making baked goods like a pie with it because it's said to be less sweet. Are roasting, steaming and mashing my only real options here? There has to be more creative uses of this awesome looking squash.

Back
Top Bottom