Pressure Cookers

anthonyjames

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Port Washington, WI
So how many of you have a pressure cooker? I have been considering purchasing one but there are so many I can find I thought I would ask the group for their input.

Mainly I am looking to use this for my spent hens. I would like to cook them, get the meat off of the bones then possibly can the meat.

Not to mention any other things that could be done but the mainly for chicken.

So what do people have?
What is the cost you spent on it?
How long does it take a pressure cooker to cook an old hen?

Thanks

I have the all american canner 915. Holds 7 quarts or 8 pints. They are not recommended on the glass top stoves. It has no rubber gasket. It was expensive but I have had it 20 years and it still works like a charm. My family loves my home canned chile. Good Luck
smile.png

I have a Presto pressure canner that I only use for canning. It's big enough to hold quart jars, so if you use it for cooking, it can feed an army. We paid about $70 for it at the farm supply store.

I also have a Mirro 6 qt pressure cooker. It's great for cooking chicken pieces, but I've never tried to put a whole chicken in it. I cook the pieces for about 15 min, but a whole one might take a little longer. I think it cost around $50-60 about 10 years ago.

please do not buy a used one unless you know what you are looking for some of the older ones are VERY dangerous. follow the instructions exactly. I have been a chef for years and have seen severe burns from them.
Brian

Poster is asking mainly about a pressure cooker not a canner. I too, am interested if anyone uses a cooker for the older hens and how does it turn out? I do can a lot of stuff (waterbath and pressure canner) but can you believe I'm intimidated by a pressure cooker?! I have one but have never cooked a meal in it. I think Purple Chicken has or even Miss Prissy as will as other good folks. But does someone have first hand experience with the cooker and can answer the poster's question?

Quote:
Have you cooked an older hen in a pressure cooker before? I am finding out that if some roosters go too long before processing, they are stringy. Once stringy will the cooked product come out stringy or tender. Or once stringy, will be stringy no matter how cooked. Your point of view would be greatly appreciated.

I pressure cook whole chickens for like 30 minutes at 10 PSI. Then I allow it to cool and use the meat for chicken and dumplings or chicken tetrazinni or whatever. The meat is always tender.

Would you believe I have a pressure cooker that I got as a wedding gift almost 21 years ago, and I have been (and still am) so intimidated by it, that I have never used it. It is still new in the package. One of these days I'm going to have to look at that thing.
hmm.png

Beeman,

I was a chef for 16 years before getting out of the restaurant biz. I needed a life. Now I work for FedEx as a programmer, have my own concrete countertop biz and now I am raising poultry and other meat animals as well. So much for having a life! But now most of my cooking is non-existant but cooking with my kids at dinner time and a lot of quiche dishes. I used the old school pressure cookers from the 70's and had many blow their tops. But I am looking to puchase my first one in about 10 years. I have not had or used one in even longer.

I have seen them range in price from $70 - $170+. Seen some that will make a nice lamb shank in 70 minutes. And I everthing I see for them is cooking legs and thighs. But no full bird. That is what I am looking for.

Henry,

In the pressure cookers of old and I am sure even now that your bird will not be stringy. You will be able to grab the bone and just shake lightly and whala!! Meat melts off the bones.

As for cookers I will keep looking for info and guidance.

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom