Pretty egg or serious trouble?

silkiemumma

Chirping
Jul 31, 2016
Kent UK
havent posted in ages as things have been going swimmingly with my girls.
I’m getting MASSIVE eggs every now and then as well as beautiful normal sized ones. (Picture of big egg included!)

I’ve had an issue with one of my films laying soft shells, upped the calcium & oyster shell. Have given them shell booster in their water and well as grinding up egg shells. But I’m still getting a soft shell here and there.

However! Today I was greeted by this pretty egg.... but not sure what’s caused the distinct colouring?!

Help!

Attachments

• C2BA7322-8FE3-4EE8-BD7E-0489EDD4E39B.jpeg
    C2BA7322-8FE3-4EE8-BD7E-0489EDD4E39B.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 157EAE19-159D-4E69-B20A-2B8691F527C8.jpeg
    157EAE19-159D-4E69-B20A-2B8691F527C8.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 10
You may want to look through these, they will help you understand what is going on. You will find photos of that.

Egg Quality Handbook
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

Egg Shell Defects
https://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf

The egg laying process is pretty complicated. Most hens work out the kinks and do great but occasionally you get one that is just not right. It could be the way her body processes calcium or some other nutrient or just something wrong with her plumbing, body processes, or glands. It is pretty normal for a pullet just starting to lay to have these kinds of problems but usually within a couple of weeks they debug their system and get things right. But sometime some never does, consider it a birth defect. How long have these issues been going on?

When I have issues like this I try to determine if it is a flock problem or an individual hen problem. That way I know whether to treat the entire flock or an individual. You are looking at then, I'm not, but this sounds like an individual hen problem.

I don't know how to treat her, other than give her more time if she is pretty young. Good luck!

Thank you! A lot less worried now. It’s the first time I have seen one of these but I have opened their coop vent wider now it getting lighter earlier etc, maybe it’s that... thanks x

Back
Top Bottom