Barred Rock laying soft eggs

HB72

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2023
Golden, CO
Hello!
We are new to having our backyard chickens, they are 8 months old now (6 of them) and we live in CO. All of the girls seem to be happy and doing well, we feed an organic 18%-layer feed available to them in their feeder in the run at all times, as well as oyster shells in a bowl available at all times.

Most all the girls started laying starting in late August/early September (the Columbia Wyandotte's are a bit late and haven't started to lay yet). Everyone's eggs are strong shelled with no issues, with the exception of our Barred Rock. She is very active, probably in the middle of the pecking order, eats and drinks well, seems to be a healthy weight, good red comb and wattle color, and I've seen her picking at the oyster shells BUT she has and continues to lay very soft-shelled eggs membrane like that often will rupture when the other girls go in to lay and sit in the same box. She also lays pretty late into the day - after 6 or 7pm sometimes.

Is there anything else we can do to support her? Or is this a common issue with this breed? She was the smaller hen of the group for some time but has caught up in the last couple of months.

Thankyou everyone, I've learned so much from these forums!

Hello!
We are new to having our backyard chickens, they are 8 months old now (6 of them) and we live in CO. All of the girls seem to be happy and doing well, we feed an organic 18%-layer feed available to them in their feeder in the run at all times, as well as oyster shells in a bowl available at all times.

Most all the girls started laying starting in late August/early September (the Columbia Wyandotte's are a bit late and haven't started to lay yet). Everyone's eggs are strong shelled with no issues, with the exception of our Barred Rock. She is very active, probably in the middle of the pecking order, eats and drinks well, seems to be a healthy weight, good red comb and wattle color, and I've seen her picking at the oyster shells BUT she has and continues to lay very soft-shelled eggs membrane like that often will rupture when the other girls go in to lay and sit in the same box. She also lays pretty late into the day - after 6 or 7pm sometimes.

Is there anything else we can do to support her? Or is this a common issue with this breed? She was the smaller hen of the group for some time but has caught up in the last couple of months.

Thankyou everyone, I've learned so much from these forums!
Glitches are common in new layers, so I wouldn't stress too much. In the meantime you can pick up some calcium citrate +D at Walmart, Walgreens, Dollar General, wherever peoples vitamin supplements are sold. Give 1 a day for a week and see if her shells improve. To give the pill, get her in your non dominant arm, (have the pill in your other hand) pull down on her waddles gently and pop the pill into her beak, she'll swallow it just fine. I like to do any kind of "pill popping" at dusk, after they've gone to roost. I hope this helps

x2 in trying a calcium supplement since you know which bird is having the issue. Yes they can swallow pills whole without a problem.

If the pills seem to help, you can gradually try reducing frequency of dosage (i.e. start with daily doses, if everything is good, try every other day for 1-2 weeks, if still good, maybe one every third day. If eggshell quality declines, put her back up on the previous dosage).

If things don't improve with the pills after a week or two, then the issue is likely internal, that she can't form strong shells for some reason.

Glitches are common in new layers, so I wouldn't stress too much. In the meantime you can pick up some calcium citrate +D at Walmart, Walgreens, Dollar General, wherever peoples vitamin supplements are sold. Give 1 a day for a week and see if her shells improve. To give the pill, get her in your non dominant arm, (have the pill in your other hand) pull down on her waddles gently and pop the pill into her beak, she'll swallow it just fine. I like to do any kind of "pill popping" at dusk, after they've gone to roost. I hope this helps
Awesome we will try it! Thank you!

x2 in trying a calcium supplement since you know which bird is having the issue. Yes they can swallow pills whole without a problem.

If the pills seem to help, you can gradually try reducing frequency of dosage (i.e. start with daily doses, if everything is good, try every other day for 1-2 weeks, if still good, maybe one every third day. If eggshell quality declines, put her back up on the previous dosage).

If things don't improve with the pills after a week or two, then the issue is likely internal, that she can't form strong shells for some reason.
Thank you will keep everyone posted on how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom