preventing mites

foxcove4

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 2, 2008
WNC
I had a pretty bad outbreak of red mites that I think I have finally gotten a leg up on. Now, I'd like to know what people do to prevent mites so I don't have to deal with that mess again. Thanks

Hm,,,,
hmm.png

some ideas:

1. put a SMALL amt of cedar shavings in with the bedding (cedar can be toxic in large amts)

2. put pine needles in with the bedding

3.Rub some Vicks vaporub in spots in the coop. or on roosts.

4.Use food grade only DE for dust bathing (add some in to where the chickens dust)

5. I think you can use SEVIN too for where they dust.

6. Get some peppermint oil and sprinkle that around the corners of the coop

thumbsup.gif
I would sure like to know more about that as well.
I haven't had any yet, but don't want any either. I have been using DE already.
I sprinkle it in their coop floor and on the roosts and in the nests.
Once a week or so I sprinkle it on their food.
I sprinkle it in the run as well, especially where the dust bathe.
~Rebecca

Quote:
We have tons of spearmint and peppermint growing around our yard. After reading this, I cut a bunch and put it in the nesting boxes. Can't hurt, might help. If nothing else, it'll smell nice when I collect eggs.

I dont know much about diatamacious(sp) earth. What is it and where do you get it?

My mother used to put the ashes from the wood stove in the chicken yard for the hens to dust bathe in. She said it prevented bugs. We never had problems with bugs, so I guess it might have worked.

Rufus

I have heard that ashes worked. And I think any kind of mint works. I am not any type of expert on DE and I dont use it, but I do know that it has to be food grade for humans, otherwise it can kill your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom