Prevention of COCCIDIOSIS and other poultry diseases in chicks~ ACV.

The ACV acts more as a preventive than a curative factor, so not sure how it will work on chicks already having an overgrowth of coccidia in their bowels. Couldn't hurt, though. I wouldn't try to disinfect anything, as that's not going to help much at this stage. Just keep bedding dry, keep them well hydrated and warm enough but not too hot.

Your run can be dusted down with sweet lime and that might dry things out a bit and cut down on the increased protozoa overgrowth there. Wouldn't be a bad idea to start a deep litter system in your run to keep the chicks off the soils there until a healthy balance can be restored via the cultured deep litter. A good mix of materials is the most effective but if conditions are really wet right now, I'd lean towards a base of wood chips first, then add other materials as they become available. Here's a little vid about deep litter in a coop but the thread explains more about the benefits of it:
0.jpg

Here's the link to the thread but the first post is not indicative of what true deep litter really is, so you may have to read awhile to get the real gist of it but it's a good way to keep your run soils from becoming too imbalanced and breeding harmful pathogens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/70/deep-litter-method

Fermented feed is another good option and works even better than ACV, so you might consider looking into that: https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Seeing as you already have chicks dying with it, if you don't want to use meds, you'll have to see who lives and who dies and just keep the healthy ones healthy as you can, while cutting your losses over the ones too weak to make it.

I hope you have a good survival rate and a good outcome!

The ACV acts more as a preventive than a curative factor, so not sure how it will work on chicks already having an overgrowth of coccidia in their bowels. Couldn't hurt, though. I wouldn't try to disinfect anything, as that's not going to help much at this stage. Just keep bedding dry, keep them well hydrated and warm enough but not too hot. Your run can be dusted down with sweet lime and that might dry things out a bit and cut down on the increased protozoa overgrowth there. Wouldn't be a bad idea to start a deep litter system in your run to keep the chicks off the soils there until a healthy balance can be restored via the cultured deep litter. A good mix of materials is the most effective but if conditions are really wet right now, I'd lean towards a base of wood chips first, then add other materials as they become available. Here's a little vid about deep litter in a coop but the thread explains more about the benefits of it: Here's the link to the thread but the first post is not indicative of what true deep litter really is, so you may have to read awhile to get the real gist of it but it's a good way to keep your run soils from becoming too imbalanced and breeding harmful pathogens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/70/deep-litter-method Fermented feed is another good option and works even better than ACV, so you might consider looking into that: https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/ Seeing as you already have chicks dying with it, if you don't want to use meds, you'll have to see who lives and who dies and just keep the healthy ones healthy as you can, while cutting your losses over the ones too weak to make it. I hope you have a good survival rate and a good outcome!
everything i have read on ff looks like its meant for adult feed. How will that work with chick feed its a crumble....

everything i have read on ff looks like its meant for adult feed. How will that work with chick feed its a crumble....

Works just fine, many people feeding chicks FF as do I. Actually, they benefit more from it than do the adult birds...starts them out just right. Crumble ferments even better than layer mash, ferments much quicker due to the particles being more finely ground. Tiny troughs...helps to have fencing over the feed so they won't take a bath in the stuff. Works great!

Now that's something I can't help you with....never used the stuff, nor any other type of med on the chooks.  I'm betting there are threads out there about it, though. 
got the mix ratio fom tsc... got fermenting food started got acv started fron mother kind.coop cleaned and new bedding put it with corid in water and fresh food.. washed both containers also. Found one of my buff orpingtons sick. Quarantined her have her on wet food and corid water in house. Made raised platform for food and water. Also got some DE for inside coop since girls are confined for weather reasons... all the rest of the girls appear to be acting normal including the black sexlink that likes to chase me.... lmao....

Ratio of corid is 1tsp per gallon of water. They told me to treat for 5 days then again in a month to prevent reinfestation.forcing my buff to dring.. out of a droper. One drop at a time... hoping this works cause the one thats sick is my fave. She comes running everytime i go into run wanting to be pet.... really worried

Update. I think we will be ok. She seems stronger already. Still not drinking alot but this mama is afraid of using the syringe if needed. She stands up now earlier she would only lean to the side. Hope i am not bragging to early... will you you posted

Are you using liquid Corid or powder Corid?

Why are you using DE?
i am using the powder made for cattle. 1tsp to 1 gallon drinking water. I am using DE in coop but not with Sweety (very sick chicks name my dad named her) yet. She is on her feet today. She wont eat FF but is eating her chick feed and drinking now. Even wanted to be pet today.
powder mixes really well it hits water and dissolved.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter...whatever amount your birds will tolerate. I never measure...I just tip the jug, allow a glug to flow and that's it. One glug for more water, a little glurp for little waterers.
big_smile.png
The thing is, it doesn't take much vinegar to make a difference and any is better than none. You don't want to put so much that they won't drink the water or you see their beaks dissolve when they dip for a drink!
lol.png
Just kiddin.... won't happen.

I'll tell you how I make more unpasteurized ACV right now. Before I had an orchard and could make my own but right now I don't have that, so I just buy regular store bought vinegar and add some of my Bragg's to it, leave the cap off and place it in a dark, room-temp place. Within a week you will see the swirl of the mother starting to build in the new jug. If you don't, add some apple juice to it so that the cultures have some sugar to get a boost and it will happen. I've never had to add the apple juice. When you see a new mother forming, you can cap it and store it somewhere out of the sunlight.
bookmarking for myself.

Back
Top Bottom