Prevention of COCCIDIOSIS and other poultry diseases in chicks~ ACV.

Hi, what is the ratio of ACV to water? Is it 1 tbsp of ACV to 1 gallon water? Thank you.

It doesn't really matter...whatever amount your birds will tolerate. I never measure...I just tip the jug, allow a glug to flow and that's it. One glug for more water, a little glurp for little waterers.
big_smile.png
The thing is, it doesn't take much vinegar to make a difference and any is better than none. You don't want to put so much that they won't drink the water or you see their beaks dissolve when they dip for a drink!
lol.png
Just kiddin.... won't happen.

I'll tell you how I make more unpasteurized ACV right now. Before I had an orchard and could make my own but right now I don't have that, so I just buy regular store bought vinegar and add some of my Bragg's to it, leave the cap off and place it in a dark, room-temp place. Within a week you will see the swirl of the mother starting to build in the new jug. If you don't, add some apple juice to it so that the cultures have some sugar to get a boost and it will happen. I've never had to add the apple juice. When you see a new mother forming, you can cap it and store it somewhere out of the sunlight.

It doesn't really matter. Some folks say 1 T. to one gal. but I just tip up the jug and let it glug one time. If I am using a really small waterer I merely let it glurp. Your chickens will be your guide to if you added too much....they will avoid the water sometimes if it has too much. That's not a good thing, so just watch your chicken's reaction to the water and add accordingly. Any is better than none and too much will soon be evident by chickens that leave water that they usually drink.

So would I use this in place of my electrolyte solution, or in addition to? Or just use the electrolyte solution until they are older??

I've never used an electrolyte solution so I'm not sure why you are using it or what it contains, but I've found the UP/ACV to have all I need to keep birds thriving...even the CX meaties that have a hard time in the heat and with excessive thirst. I have been consistently using it for this batch of 50 and their poop isn't liquid like CX normally are and they don't drink as much as my last batch...they drink same amount as any other chicken breed really, so they aren't hyper-hydrating or losing electrolytes out the end.

Back
Top Bottom