Private Message Limit

Likewise, had to search to find the answer. I do get the premise, but what spurred me to sign up after lurking and learning for several months was an opportunity to buy a Brinsea incubator listed in the forum yesterday. Takes more than two messages to work out payment and shipping details, and I had no idea how to raise the limit until I read this. :/

Seems really limiting. I'm in the same situation. Trying to coordinate details of pick-up of eggs with more than one person having a 2 message limit kind of makes that useless.

I am pretty sure that people don't want to post their addresses and direct contact information in a publicly accessible forum post.

I had a very specific need, found this site, was able to get my needs met, now I am struggling on finishing the details.

I don't recall ever being informed of this 2 PM limit when I registered. Maybe, if I had known, I would have immediately asked for the users direct contact information. Which again, seems a little odd to have to do.

Might I suggest that the initial limit be raised to maybe 10 per day? It should be pretty easy to look from the back end to see if spamming is happening or not.

Seems really limiting. I'm in the same situation. Trying to coordinate details of pick-up of eggs with more than one person having a 2 message limit kind of makes that useless.

I am pretty sure that people don't want to post their addresses and direct contact information in a publicly accessible forum post.

I had a very specific need, found this site, was able to get my needs met, now I am struggling on finishing the details.

I don't recall ever being informed of this 2 PM limit when I registered. Maybe, if I had known, I would have immediately asked for the users direct contact information. Which again, seems a little odd to have to do.

Might I suggest that the initial limit be raised to maybe 10 per day? It should be pretty easy to look from the back end to see if spamming is happening or not.

Well it seems that with the new system that it should be two 'conversations' a day, not PM... but these people have too much to do in real life to check the back end all the time, in fact the Mods may not be able to check the backend of the forum application, that may have to be sent to the engineers who are very busy chasing forum bugs.

I feel your pain.
I found this forum while searching for eggs. While going through the buy, sale, trade section I noticed that you could post a wanted ad. Great idea but being new I dont get that option so I went down the ads and found a couple of people with what I was looking for and PMed them. It is sooo slow going with the 2 PM limit that both have sold out before we worked anything out.
Also have made a couple of friends one of which we were trying to arrange to get a few chicks from. I feel bad sometimes as they will ask a question and I wont be able to get back to them or answer for a day or day and a half, Makes it like i'm blowing them off or something.
Also have been seeing the post about having to be a member for three months to be a part of the egg swap. I get what the reasons are but really limits new members. I'll stick around but I'm sure others don't. Would be nice to lighten up on the new member restrictions.

It's a tricky balance to provide full features for new members while also keeping spammers at bay. We've had problems in the past with spammers coming in and sending some pretty nasty stuff to other members via PM so we were forced to put these limits in place.

Fortunately the more you participate in the community, the more our system "trusts" you and the more PM's you can send. So, just simply hang out for a bit, reply to some threads / posts, and before you know it your PM limits won't be as restricted.

I was just thinking - it's not the limits that are a problem, it's that I didn't know how to lift them. What if you changed the message when a user hits their limit? Something like, "We see you haven't been interacting much in the forums. You get out of BYC what you put in, so for your sake (and to protect our members from spam) go out and interact and your message limit will be raised!"

I am having this same message and I haven't even sent a private message today. I tried rebooting my computer and logging back on to see if it would go asway and no luck. Any ideas?

This is just a response to my previous comment. Once I posted that comment the max limit per day fo rPMs went away. I guess it's just looking for me to interact more.

Mine is doing the same thing. I've sent only one message today but the PM limit message popped up immediately. I guess I'll try to participate more but with my personality I tend to be more of a lurker
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom