prized French Blue Footed Chickens

kinnip

Songster
11 Years
Feb 24, 2008
Carrollton, GA
Hi guys, it's been awhile, but I need some help.
big_smile.png
I spoke with a local chef today who was serving French "Blue Footed Chicken". I looked it up on Wikipedia and came up with this: Poulet de Bresse
From what stock are these bred? The cost per pound is exorbitant, and I'd like to offer him a good alternative. Are Marans at all close?

I wish they were Jersey Giants or coloured Rangers! Those I can get. This guy is paying more than $20/lb for this bird and I still can't compete, even with Marans.

If they are true Bresse the carcass or meat will have been imported from France. It is in the same class as truffles & fois de gras.
David

Quote:
Apparently a Canadian and a Californian, Bob Shipley, managed to import some stock and are selling them as Bresse. I do think it's a stretch, since the flavour of the Bresse is supposed so good due to the soil composition of their part of France. I'm just irritated because I was really hoping to sell some Marans to this chef, but he's more interested in this super-sashimi bird. BTW, I'm not really understanding why proponents of this breed insist it's the only chicken you can eat raw. I know there are some Japanese who would laugh at that suggestion. If the bird is clean and healthy, it's clean and healthy. Claiming that Bresse are salmonella-free seems like some twisted advertising to me.

I can't see too many people paying that kind of money for raw chicken- especially in the states. When you've spent your entire life being warned against raw chicken and pork.....
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom