PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

Amazing topic! For over a year I've been making my own kefir and the hens have always loved it poured over their breakfast treat. In the last couple months I've been making probiotic fermented vegetable mixes: like shredded garlic, cabbage, ginger, carrot, etc, mixed with celtic sea salt, pounded down til the juices rise up like kraut. It sits for 3 days at room temp, then refrigerate for a few weeks.

DH and I have been eating this stuff with each meal for a while, and wow what a huge improvement we feel in our digestion, energy, and overall health. Recently I mixed some of that fermented vegetable mix into the hens' treat. I wondered if they would eat it? Oh man, they attacked it with vigor! I couldn't believe my eyes, watching them pulling out fermented raw garlic shreds and sucking them down like spaghetti.

I'm sold on this raw probiotic stuff! It seems like the essential missing ingredient in our modern diets.

Quote:
Hi Feathesnuggles
I am just a novice to the Kefir and Kombucha making but started reading about it thru this page and WOW!!!! YESSSSSS!!!!!
I am now sold on the Kefir and Kombucha but had never thought about making fermented vegatables but that is a great Idea! Please Proceed and let us know more! I for one would be interested in knowing the process and give it a try sounds really interesting AND HEALTHY!! Anything that will improve my quality of life and help me physically I would love to learn more about and love to see my little chickies benefit from it!!

Ernie

Quote:
HOLY MOLEY, WOODLANDWOMAN, THANKS! I HOPE EVERYONE READS YOUR POST. PERSONALLY I HAD NEVER EVEN HEARD OF CHLORAMINE BEFORE. AS SOON AS I GET HOME, I'M GOING TO CALL MY WATER COMPANY TO SEE IF THEY USE IT INSTEAD OF CHLORINE. IF THEY DO, I WILL NEVER USE IT FOR MAKING ANYTHING PROBIOTIC AGAIN.
I DID A GOOGLE SEARCH, AND BOILING AND LETTING THE TAP WATER SIT OUT DOES NOT GET RID OF CHLORAMINE.

Yep, looks like I will be calling my villiage office tomorrow as well and asking them what our water is treated with. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
OK, the veggies undergo a process called "lacto-fermentation". Below is a website with a decent introduction on lacto-fermented vegetables. And, if you want even more info, google the term, lacto-fermented, and check out the hits you get. Also, I checked out a book from our library called "Wild Fermentation"-- which was GREAT! I'm completely sold on these nutrient-dense foods. Here's a quote from "Nourishing Traditions":

The proliferation of lactobacilli in fermented vegetables enhances their digestibility and increases vitamin levels. These beneficial organisms produce numerous helpful enzymes as well as antibiotic and anti carcinogenic substances. Their main by-product, lactic acid, not only keeps vegetables and fruits in a state of perfect preservation but also promotes the growth of healthy flora throughout the intestine.

http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/07/the-benefits-of-fermented-food-lacto-fermented-vegetables/

Quote:
Hi Feathesnuggles
I am just a novice to the Kefir and Kombucha making but started reading about it thru this page and WOW!!!! YESSSSSS!!!!!
I am now sold on the Kefir and Kombucha but had never thought about making fermented vegatables but that is a great Idea! Please Proceed and let us know more! I for one would be interested in knowing the process and give it a try sounds really interesting AND HEALTHY!! Anything that will improve my quality of life and help me physically I would love to learn more about and love to see my little chickies benefit from it!!

Ernie

9574_harsch_crock.jpg

Harsch Gairtopf Fermenting Crock Pot http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=harsch&x=22&y=20

Ours
is the five-liter size. Here's one of Anne's recipes:
Kraut with Pepper

9 lbs. Cabbage slaw mix from Sam’s or shred nine pounds of cabbage heads.
4 T. sea salt (If you add kefir whey, use much less salt. Salt kills bad bacteria until the kraut's lactic acid kills them and good bacteria take over.)
2 T. dulse flakes (Buy these at a health food store; they also reduce the need for salt)
3 T. caraway seed
1 jar (8 oz.) organic chopped garlic
2 T. red pepper flakes
2 tsp. Dill – powdered
1 cup of whey (drained from homemade yogurt or kefir)

These crocks are wonderful.
http://www.wisementrading.com/foodpreserving/harsch_crocks.htm
Making living kraut in them simply requires keeping water in the lid area for two weeks so that no bacteria or mold can reach the kraut.
I used to help my Kentucky grandmother make kraut in super-large crocks. We'd store them in the cave, and then she'd have to throw away so much of the kraut because of mold. Not so with THESE crocks.
Does anyone have one? If so would you like to exchange recipes with Anne and me. Anne and I have the five-liter one, and we make kraut once a month and share it with relatives, friends, and neighbors.

"Product Description
Features & SpecificationsThe Miracle Fermenting Crock Pot - Quick, Easy and Quality! The Harsch / Gartopf fermenting crock pot is a quality crafted piece which is imported from Germany. Easily make nutrition packed sauerkraut, pickled vegetables and so much more. The patented Harsch crock-pot is a beautiful stoneware piece and is fired at 1200 degrees Celsius and finished with aleadfree glaze. This crock includes a ceramic cover which fits perfectly over the top and has a special cast gutter in the rim creating a seamless airlock. Gases from the fermentation can escape easily but air is not able to enter. Many other crock-pots can create a pasty white kahm yeast, this one doesn't! Suitable for all types of vegetables like:CabbagesCucumbersCarrotsPumpkinsBeansOnionsCeleryPeppersand more!In just 4-6 weeks you can have delicious fermented veggies in your home! Features:Quality constructed - easy to useImported from GermanyCan ferment up 5 liters of vegetables (1.3 Gallons) at a timeUse of ceramic weight stones eliminates moldClever water sealing system allows gases to escapeNo air let inLead freeMade of ceramic claySimple instructions are included*This item will ship via UPS Ground instead of FedEX Ground*Specifications: ModelHarsh 5 Liter Crock PotCapacity5 Liters / 1.3 GallonsBuilt ofMade of ceramic lead free clay WarrantyOne Year."

Here's an article about the crock:
http://www.wisementrading.com/foodpreserving/harsch_crocks.htm

Last edited:
joe that kraut sounds awesome!!! and that fermenting crock is too cool

i just ordered my milk kefir grains (from the kefirlady, shipping out tomorrow!) and i ordered some of the water grains as well. does anyone have any experience with these? i figured i might as well get some to give them a try!

ok... after reading the article joe posted i have 2 questions..

why would one put crushed eggshell or oceanic white coral in their water kefir mixture?

and what is this about adding maltose to the milk kefir culture? do any of you guys do that?

edited - ok.. i think the eggshell/coral is to make your water hard.. i have well water so i won't be needing to do that

but what about the maltose?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom